INC NEWS - Civil Rights, My Life: A Youth Produced Multi-Media Exploration

risafoster@aol.com risafoster at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 17:50:42 EDT 2005

Volunteers Needed

CIVIL RIGHTS, MY LIFE
A youth sponsored, multi-media exploration
sponsored by
A New Day Juvenile Day Reporting Center
a program for suspended and court-involved middle school students. Civil Rights, My Life will make connections between Durham's Civil Rights past and the lives and perspectives of youth today.

We are recruiting community activists, adults, as well as, youth leaders interested in video production, photography, civil rights themes, and documentary storytelling.  Participants will meet on five Saturdays from 10am-2pm
beginning in November 2005.
An important orientation meeting will be held on Saturday, October 29th at 10am at A New Day.

No experience is necessary - only a commitment to work with a diverse production team and to see the project through to completion.

 Please contact Kenny Dalsheimer at thegroove at earthlink.net or 667-1208 or Amy Elliott at aelliott at co.durham.nc.us if you have questions or want to participate in this great project.

My Life will offer 10-12 students an opportunity to learn about the historic place of Durham in the Civil Rights movement, to reflect on the meaning of civil rights today, and to create photographs, videos, and written pieces related to civil rights history and themes.  The project will team middle school students and high school youth leaders with community activists, artists, and historians to plan and produce a multi-media project to be presented in a community event in late February 2006.

Students will meet on six-eight Saturdays beginning in November 5 2005 from 10am-2pm.  Each day will begin with video and photo activities, documentary interview training, and reading relating to Civil Rights history. The afternoon session will give time for small groups to plan and produce their projects.  During the month of January 2006, a small group of students will be planning and organizing for the community event.

To participate in the project you are urged(required) to attend an orientation meeting at A New Day this Saturday, October 29th from 10am-11:30am.   During this session you will learn more about the project, get an orientation to A New Day, and have opportunities to ask questions and share your own ideas about how to make for a successful project.  We are currently planning to have six Saturday workshops in November and December running from 10am to 2pm.  If you are unable to make to this session, please contact one of the organizers ASAP.
Also, you can email or call with questions at, 919-599-0684 or 667-1208.

Thanks again for your interest in the students and the Civil Rights project.

Please let them know you are coming!  Call or e-mail!

Kenny Dalsheimer at thegroove at earthlink.net or 667-1208 or Amy Elliott at aelliott at co.durham.nc.us

A New Day is located at 326 E. Main Street, ¼ block east of Roxboro.  The building we are in is right next to the Housing Authority on Main Street.  We have a BIG parking lot; park in any spot marked "reserved".  We are a 10 minute walk from the downtown bus terminal.  The building is marked as "Criminal Justice Resource Center"  The entrance to "A New Day" is in back, walk down the slight incline: you will see a fence and a white van parked in the drive way. The door will be open.  A nylon flag with a fish is hanging outside our door.