INC NEWS - Service Standards Resolution

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat May 27 18:01:26 EDT 2006

It occurred to me that the "whereas" in the resolution lead one to think the
resolution will ask for more detail on individual requests rather than
better standards, so with Randy and Ken and other members of INC Executive
Committee, I am proposing this amended resolution (it mostly adds 2
clarifying whereas's)

Regards, pat
-------

Whereas: Citizens need a way to monitor their service requests made to
Housing, Zoning, Solid Waste and other city/county departments, and get
discouraged when the work isn't completed

Whereas: When service requests become lost in the system, there may not be
follow through,

Whereas: Unified call systems are an important way to get a "report card" on
the effectiveness of city services.  That is, if there are standards -- for
example, how long it takes to handle requests -- and we monitor how well
they are met, citizens will have assurance that requests are being handled
in a timely fashion and will know how long to wait before following up on
requests.

Whereas: This monitoring is equally important for county and city/county
departments, such as zoning.

We resolve that: Durham One Call organizes "Service Delivery Standards," for
consistencies in city/county departmental service performances and to allow
citizens to monitor such performance of service requests through the system.
Furthermore, we propose that the County be strongly encouraged to join the
Durham One Call program in order to make county functions easily accessible
to the entire Durham community.