INC NEWS - Durham rezoning case #Z06-40 (Duke Central Campus)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 13:11:12 EDT 2006

Neighborhood Partnership Initiative residents and
others:

Duke submitted its rezoning application for Central
Campus last month.

During meetings with Partnership neighborhood
representatives and public meetings with Durham
residents, university officials promised to make these
plans available to us. But we seem to be encountering
some resistance on that.

FYI, below is email correspondence with Michael Palmer
(Duke Community Affairs) requesting copies of the
Central Campus development plan.

Will share any response we get from Duke.

~John Schelp

****

Wed, 31 May 2006 12:00

Michael,

In meetings with Partnership Neighborhood
representatives and community members, Duke has
repeatedly said it would make its Central Campus plans
available to us. Thus, I am a bit puzzled by your
seeming resistance (below) to the requests for copies
of the development plans that Tom Miller and I have
made.

This is exactly the kind of behavior that undermines
community trust and productive town-gown relations.

I checked with Frank Duke, Durham Planning director,
about whether the Planning Department would have any
problem with you supplying us with copies of these
plans. I've pasted in a copy of his reply below just
FYI, but he says that the city's fees for Development
Plans are not a revenue source for the City or County.

So from the City's perspective, there isn't any
violation of "principle or precedent" involved in you
providing those copies as university officials have
previously promised to do.

Concerns about starting a precedent also don't seem to
be an issue. In fact, the university provided us with
copies of its Development Plans for East, West and the
Medical Center back in 2003 (Haden-Stanziale,
8/04/03).

To Tom Miller in Watts-Hillandale, you say you need a
request from the neighborhood association president.
To me, a neighborhood association president, you say
the university can't set a precedent (a precedent that
you've already set).

Please ask your consultant, Haden-Stanziale, to
provide a large-size copy of your Development Plans to
OWDNA.

This is not a fee issue for us. It is a principle
issue for us, insofar as Duke officials have
repeatedly said they would share their plans for
Central Campus with us.

Please let us know if the university intends to keep
its word or not.

Thank you.

John Schelp, president
Old West Durham Neighborhood Association

cc:
Richard Brodhead

****