INC NEWS - Meeting follow-up: Roses in a glass resolution and planning contact list

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:15:52 EDT 2006

The updated resolution on the roses in a glass is:
         Whereas Drug Paraphernalia is any legitimate equipment, product, or
material that is modified for making, using, or concealing illegal drugs
such as cocaine, heroin, marijuana, and methamphetamine.

         Whereas Law Enforcement Officials have confirmed that "glass stems"
are being used as modified equipment pipes to smoke (crack) cocaine and
methamphetamine.

         Whereas the Rose in a Glass "glass stems" should not be sold in
Durham stores.

         Now, therefore, let it be resolved that the InterNeighborhood
Council of Durham asks Durham City and County should include these and
similar glass stems in the list of banned drug paraphernalia.

------------
If  you poke around at internet (I hate to think what anyone checking my
searches this week would think), you find (1) the problem has been around
and across the nation since 2001, (2) you can get the glass stems really
cheap on e-Bay according to Google ads, and (3) at least California and
Michigan have passed laws, and Florida is apparently looking into it.

http://www.abc.ca.gov/FORMS/ABC546-A.pdf#search=%22drug.paraphernalia%20kit%20rose%20%22

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Documents/loaddoc.aspx?FileName=h0035.CRJU.doc&DocumentType=Analysis&BillNumber=0035&Session=2006#search=%22drug.paraphernalia%20tube%20glass%20rose%22

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CIS_LCC_rosepipes_80073_7.pdf

If you want to check the planning department's notification list, the
address is:

>http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/planning/pdf/nod_contact.pdf

Regards, pat