INC NEWS - Fw: Important Message - DMV inspections

David Harris harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 14:06:03 EST 2007

GS 20-183.8a went active Jan. 2007.

NC General Statute 20-183.8a
§ 20‑183.8A. Civil penalties against motorists for emissions violations.
The Division shall assess a civil penalty against a person who owns or leases a vehicle that is subject to an emissions inspection and who does any of the following:
(1) Fails to have the vehicle inspected within four months after it is required to be inspected under this Part.
(2) Instructs or allows a person to tamper with an emission control device of the vehicle so as to make the device inoperative or fail to work properly.
(3) Incorrectly states the county of registration of the vehicle to avoid having an emissions inspection of the vehicle.
The amount of penalty is one hundred dollars ($100.00) if the vehicle is a pre‑1981 vehicle and two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) if the vehicle is a 1981 or newer model vehicle.
As provided in G.S. 20‑54, the registration of a vehicle may not be renewed until a penalty imposed under this section has been paid. (1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 754, ss. 1, 8; 1998‑212, s. 27.6(b).)

David Harris
919-906-2023

David Harris

919-906-2023