INC NEWS - [pac2] Durham Housing Inpections

Colin Crossman lists at crc32.com
Wed Mar 14 07:51:58 EDT 2007

Mr. Wise's article in the Durham News over the weekend concerning the
Durham RIP was generally faithful to the incubus being designed by the
NIS.

Many of the demerits of this plan have been discussed here in detail in
this and other threads.  There was, however, one point of his article
that deserves a more detailed response.  Jim repeated one glaring error
that has been repeated many times before, and is calculated to induce
the reader to an incorrect assumption: that Durham's rental rate is
somehow aberrant.

In his article (http://www.thedurhamnews.com/101/story/41463.html), he
states in paragraph 6:
"As of the 2000 census, 51 percent of Durham's 81,000 occupied "housing
units" were occupied by renters. In Raleigh and Greensboro, the figures
are 48 and 47 percent, respectively; in North Carolina, less than 31
percent; nationwide, 34 percent."

However, Durham is a town that serves at least three collages - Duke,
UNC, and NCCU. Of course we will have a higher rental population. Based
on the 2005 Census Survey figures (from the Census website,
www.census.gov), Durham, with 48% rental housing falls between Chapel
Hill (with 57%), Raleigh (with 46%), and Charlotte (with 40%).
Charlotte, with the lowest figure, also is the only city without a major
university. When looking at cities with major universities, Pittsburgh
has 46% (with ~64,000 rentals), Amherst, Mass has ~55% (with ~5,000
rentals), Gainesville, Florida has ~62% (with ~30,000 rentals),
Bloomington, Indiana has 65% (with ~18,000 rentals), and New Haven has
an astounding 71% (with ~33,000 rentals).

When people complain that Durham has too many rentals for cities its
size, they need to consider not cities Durham's size, but cities about
the same size with a large university population.  Under the rental rate
metric, Durham is in fact very well situated.  Quoting these statistics
in a way that allows people to believe that Durham is aberrant is
misleading.

-Colin Crossman