INC NEWS - dirt streets to be paved

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Sun Mar 25 10:27:40 EDT 2007

I understand English is a complex language to learn (from those from other
lands now living here and learning English). I'd like to thank Bill for
his translation of my complex English into "Anderson Basic  Script" (or
"Anderson BS" as we like to call it). It was no doubt for those of you for
which English is a second language. Fortunately, I believe everyone on the
list speaks and understands English well for I have had no requests for
translation into another language since I have maintained this list. So
the need to "dumb it down"" was probably unnecessary. Adding his emotions
to what he thought I said becomes what he says, not what I said. Perhaps
my English needs to be simpler for Bill and others (thinking the odds are
good that he's not alone even though he suggests he might be; I tend to
agree with him on his assessment that he is alone on this, but we both
could be wrong). As typical, something always gets lost in the
translation...

I was asked to forward the information I provided about the paving of
gravel streets by our President and did so. It was a piece of info I had
yet seen made known to this neighborhood group list. Any email
conversations one may have with City staff is a matter of public record.
If you want the entire content of any post I ever send to this list that
would provide information other than that which was  specifically
requested, you are able to get it under the Sunset Laws from the City. I
saw no reason (here I am deciding things again and deciding what you might
read should you choose to do so) to forward content that was not requested
and  contained irrelevant information (other than what was requested).
There was not, nor will there ever be, censorship on my part. I was just
providing the specific information  as requested. It wasn't a report or
anything other than some good info (if you live in a neighborhood where
one of these streets are located).

Bill is miffed about the heavy handed moderator of this list (me).
Typically I would have expected him to bring his complaints to the source
instead of airing his disgust (?) via this list. I recently rejected a
number of posts (not just from Bill) and I sent those who were cross
posting, (dragging others from other lists across lists which they didn't
belong)  an email notifying them of the actions taken and why. Not
everyone seems to understand how lists work and why there are rules for
posting. Some tend to want to use this list to glorify personal positions
they might take relating to an issue in their own neighborhood or some
other position that is not relevant to something INC is working on. That's
fine when they contain it to their respective "neighborhood" lists. But
when posts are broadcast across the City, across lists that have a variety
of people not on all those lists, it creates havoc for all of us who
maintain the mailing lists (which that person for INC is me; I am the list
administrator). We start getting posts from people who aren't members of a
particular list and have to decide what to do with those posts. They
create log jams in the system service that otherwise generally operates
maintenance free. It puts an unnecessary burden on those of us who
administer lists. It causes us to actually have to work at making the list
work. I have taken the position to reject all of these problem posts
because generally the posts aren't coming from members of the INC list.
But when it's a member of the INC list causing the problems (as it was
this last time), I typically take the time to make those involved aware
the consequences of dragging folks who don't belong to a particular list,
across other lists. I try to educate everyone as to how it all works and
why something may just be wrong.  Educating folks takes additional time,
but it tends to help the whole list by alleviating the problems at the
source. And as bad as it is, it seems to be the same people who do it over
and over, never learning or remembering why it is not a good idea to
create these problems in the first place. Just clicking "reply all" seems
to be the biggest culprit. By not looking at where the reply is going (to
what lists or persons), it creates the problem really quick. Compound that
by sheer numbers of emails and you can see how big this problem quickly
becomes.

This mailing list is not my personal domain as Bill would like to infer.
It is the email list of INC (I think you all are aware of this). I am just
the list administrator. And when I make a decision to do something
administrative, that is what I am charged to do. It is done so not out of
ignorance of the service, but from years of experience with it. Issues are
handled the same, regardless of  who the person creating the problem might
be. Otherwise we'd all be bombarded with spam on the list and that's just
counter productive. So I had to again quietly spank Bill and other members
of this INC list recently for cross posting and dragging others across
lists. It wasn't the first time and it probably won't be the last
(guessing, since it continues to happen even after trying education, it'll
continue). Hey, it's just my job. Perhaps the remainder of those on this
list appreciate not getting a lot of spam. The system and policies work.
It doesn't happen.

If this list is quiet, all must be well in the city we call Durham.
Everyone has the same ability to post as any other member. Maybe there is
just not much to talk about right now. Rest assured, it has nothing to do
with me as the administrator. If the lack of delegates at the last meeing
is any example, perhaps times are exceptionally good in Durham right now
and the need for INC involvement is much less. I don't recall another
meeting in the past (going back years and in some very poor weather) where
there weren't enough members present to vote on something. The resolution
that was on the table to be voted on is now moot as it has already been
dealt with by our government officials. They wanted to know what INC
thought, but we were unable to provide that clue. That's a pretty poor
example to be setting. And this was in a month (Feb.) which typically has
a great deal of involvement since it's winter and there is less to do
outside (or vacations, or school kids out, etc). Every neighborhood has
the option of sending 2 delegates. Getting just one delegate last month
would have been a bonus. At least we could have moved forward instead of
being stuck and doing nothing. Often, time is of the essence as it was
last month on a resolution. By not voicing our opinion as a body, we lost
our opportunity for input into the process. And that is what INC is really
all about.

As a Board, we talk about a lot of things that never reach this list. I am
sorry that conversations are carried on like this. I do believe they would
stimulate conversation with our reading public if they were posted here.
But for whatever reason, they are dealt with off this list. Nothing
secret, just conversations that perhaps you may wish to have a voice in.
Or maybe the sheer volume would be seen as burdensome and you wouldn't
like it at all. One topic is what the role of this Board actually is; what
duties you would like to see us perform and services you would like to see
added. I'll be posting one of these conversations later this weekend
because I think there are some issues that you just need to be made aware
of before deciding directions for this body to take. As I have stressed to
this Board, we don't make decisions, you the membership do. But perhaps
you'd like us to do more decision making and less of letting you decide.
Or maybe not.

Someone will probably point out that I suggested in a previous post that
being concise and short were good things. That was relative to the words
of others I guess. I don't mind expounding on things when they are  my
words. I guess I'm known for that...

RWP
27 Beverly