INC NEWS - >>> ADMIN NOTE <<<

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Mar 28 14:02:52 EDT 2007

If this is something the other list members would like, to get emails
posted from across the City relative to other particular neighborhoods,
then I believe I can change the settings to allow for additional email
addresses.

There seems to be only a couple (probably less than 4%) of members of the
list who want this service. I suspect the others will see it as additional
email that will burden their already bulging email boxes. Certainly
anything posted to any other list can be posted to the INC list server. It
just can not be broadcast across the City with one click. If an additional
click by the sender is too much to ask to keep the conversations
pertinant, then perhaps the membership would like to keep it like it is. I
just administrate the list, I don't decide what is good or bad for those
who get the emails.

This is the only list I administrate where this is an issue. And since
those few who want this ability are not members of the other lists, it
would seem to be a personal preference rather than a general need. I'd
suggest if it was a universal thought process, I'd see the same thing
being requested across all lists and that is just not the case.

I have never introduced the INC audience to online polling. But it's a
good way to quickly get the pulse of what a membership thinks. In this
case, it would be the list membership. Should that be something the
membership would like to try, I'll see if I can fit it in. But just
looking up the emails in the box today, I see a number of admin duties
that require attention. This is part of the responsibility of doing this
that the membership never get to see. It's like I said, the machine runs
flawlessly if the humans follow the rules. It's the human factors that
always create the additional work. And when it's the spammers, they have
no mercy. Every bounced email they send comes back to the list server and
it adds up in a hurry. Not just in work on the list server end, but as
email to me notifying me of the problems that need attention. I could shut
this feature off and never know, but that would neglect the needs the list
server requires. I assume it would cease to function if it reached some
capacity. But because it is maintained, that has never happened. I have on
occasion (maybe even on this list), shut the server down for a period of
time to be able to not allow the spam to bounce. No idea where it goes at
that point since it is undeliverable. I just know after a couple of days
of this action, it begins to taper off again.

RWP
List Administrator

> might i humbly suggest that the parameter of (1) additional email
> address in step 2 below be changed to something a little higher, like (5)?
>
> Durham has a large and overlapping network of listservs on which to
> disseminate information. Posting to INC, one or more PAC lists, and one
> or more neighborhood lists at the same time is a pretty standard thing
> to do, and to my knowledge, none of the other lists (including the ones
> i moderate) will bounce a message as spam because it's been sent to 3 or
> 4 other lists.
>
> Barry Ragin
>
> RW Pickle wrote:
>> There seems to be some concern that there is something wrong with the
>> list
>> server. I will try to explain, in simple terms, what it is, what it
>> does,
>> and why anyone will experience problems as it relates to posting. It is
>> machine that has defined parameters. It doesn't look outside these and
>> make judgement calls. It makes green (as in go) or red (as in stop)
>> decisions. An all but .1% (and maybe less) of the reasons anyone would
>> ever have a problem posting is relative to human error. the machine
>> makes
>> very few mistakes. So it's people problems and not list server problems
>> that are the root of your concern. Perhaps understanding how the machine
>> works will aid in solving the issues people seem to be facing.
>>
>> The List server does three things when it receives an emailed post from
>> anyone. I'll use the character John Doe as my example. John is a member
>> of
>> the INC list for this example of how a list server works.
>>
>> First thing it does when it receives an emailed post is to see who it is
>> from and check the senders name against the member list.  Because when
>> you
>> signed up for the list server, you had to enter an email address. This
>> is
>> how the list server recognizes you. If John registered as
>> John.Doe at hotmail.com, that is the email address he must use when sending
>> post to the list server. If John Doe also has the email address of
>> John.Doe at aol.com, and sends a post from this address, the list server
>> doesn't recognize John because this is not the same address of the
>> member,
>> John Doe. It immediantly throws the email post from the aol address out.
>> It helps that no two addresses are the same. Like your fingerprint, each
>> one is different. John may get email regularly at both addresses, but
>> the
>> list server only knows that John is who he says he is when postings by
>> his
>> registered member email address; John.Doe at hotmail.com, arrive. John by
>> any
>> other email address or name is not John to the machine.
>>
>> The second thing the list server looks at, after recognizing that John
> [...]

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic  mail to the sender of
this email, RW  Pickle (pickle at patriot.net) immediately.