INC NEWS - >>> ADMIN NOTE <<<

Barry Ragin bragin at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 28 17:22:02 EDT 2007

Randy - on a busy week i'll post 8 or 10 times to the Duke Park list. of
those posts, maybe 1 a week or 1 every other week will be of interest to
folks in other neighborhoods, and i think it would be a good thing to be
able to post those without running into a spam filter.

given that the first filter is membership in the list, it's not like
there's a whole universe of unknown spammers trying to deluge this list.

just my .02

barry ragin

RW Pickle wrote:
> [...]
> email that will burden their already bulging email boxes. Certainly
> anything posted to any other list can be posted to the INC list server. It
> just can not be broadcast across the City with one click. If an additional
> click by the sender is too much to ask to keep the conversations
> pertinant, then perhaps the membership would like to keep it like it is. I
> just administrate the list, I don't decide what is good or bad for those
> who get the emails.
>
> This is the only list I administrate where this is an issue. And since
> those few who want this ability are not members of the other lists, it
> would seem to be a personal preference rather than a general need. I'd
> suggest if it was a universal thought process, I'd see the same thing
> being requested across all lists and that is just not the case.
>
> I have never introduced the INC audience to online polling. But it's a
> good way to quickly get the pulse of what a membership thinks. In this
> case, it would be the list membership. Should that be something the
> membership would like to try, I'll see if I can fit it in. But just
> looking up the emails in the box today, I see a number of admin duties
> that require attention. This is part of the responsibility of doing this
> that the membership never get to see. It's like I said, the machine runs
> flawlessly if the humans follow the rules. It's the human factors that
> always create the additional work. And when it's the spammers, they have
> no mercy. Every bounced email they send comes back to the list server and
> it adds up in a hurry. Not just in work on the list server end, but as
> email to me notifying me of the problems that need attention. I could shut
> this feature off and never know, but that would neglect the needs the list
> server requires. I assume it would cease to function if it reached some
> capacity. But because it is maintained, that has never happened. I have on
> occasion (maybe even on this list), shut the server down for a period of
> time to be able to not allow the spam to bounce. No idea where it goes at
> that point since it is undeliverable. I just know after a couple of days
> of this action, it begins to taper off again.
>
> RWP
> List Administrator
>

>> might i humbly suggest that the parameter of (1) additional email
>> address in step 2 below be changed to something a little higher, like (5)?
>>
>> Durham has a large and overlapping network of listservs on which to
>> disseminate information. Posting to INC, one or more PAC lists, and one
>> or more neighborhood lists at the same time is a pretty standard thing
>> to do, and to my knowledge, none of the other lists (including the ones
>> i moderate) will bounce a message as spam because it's been sent to 3 or
>> 4 other lists.
>>
>> Barry Ragin
>>
>> RW Pickle wrote:
>>
>>> There seems to be some concern that there is something wrong with the
>>> server. I will try to explain, in simple terms, what it is, what it
> [...]
>>> of
>>> other email addresses, it then looks at the size of the email post John
>>> has sent.  Our list server is set to accept a post up to 40KB (40
>>> kilobytes). As a measure of computer memory or storage, a kilobyte (KB)
>>> is
>>> approximately a thousand bytes (actually, 2 to the 10th power, or
>>> decimal
>>> 1,024 bytes). So 40KB would be a little more than 40,000 pieces of
>>> information in an emailed post; or roughly 4,000 words. That's why it's
>>> important to send messages to the list server in simple text. When sent
>>> in
>>> html format, the list server reads the html code and adds a byte for
>>> every
>>> piece of code it sees. If you know what html code looks like (just
>>> select
>>> View/Source from your browsers menu bar to see), then you realize that a
>>> little code adds a great deal of bytes to any message. I have the
>>> ability
>>> as administrator to change this to a greater or lesser number, allowing
>>> for larger or smaller posts. 40KB is generally large enough for just
>>> about
>>> any diatribe that comes through the service. Only rarely does it kick
>>> out
>>> a post due to size. And when it does, it typically is because it is sent
>>> in html format or is sent with multiple emails attached such as in a
>>> forwarded message. So size will throw the email post out as well.
>>>
>>> If the list server finds all of the three areas it checks as having no
>>> problems, it immediantly sends out Johns' email post to every member of
>>> the list. This all takes place in far less time than it has taken to
>>> read
>>> this far. But if there is a problem at any stage of the checking prior
>>> sending out the post, the list server kicks out the emailed post and
>>> sends
>>> me an email telling me (the list administrator) that there is a post
>>> waiting for me on the list server that needs my attention. When I check
>>> my
>>> email, I'll find a message from the list server. Here's a copy of what
>>> it
>>> sends me:
>>>
>>> As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
>>> following mailing list posting:
>>>
>>>     List:    INC-list at DurhamINC.org
>>>     From:    John Doe
>>>     Subject: Can You Believe It!
>>>     Reason:  Message has implicit destination
>>>
>>> At your convenience, visit:
>>>
>>>     http://lists.deltaforce.net/mailman/admindb/inc-list
>>>
>>> to approve or deny the request.
>>>
>>> In this particular message, the server tells me that Johns' emailed post
>>> was kicked out because it was seen as spam. "Implicit destination"
>>> refers
>>> to multiple addresses in the Cc field of the emailed post. It didn't
>>> for size because it was kicked out at step 2 and did not get to step 3.