INC NEWS - Need for Webpages to educate Durham residents wrt rezoning/development process

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 15:28:18 EDT 2007

Hello again. I have been discussing with the Joint
City County Planning Commission the need to educate
and encourage Durham residents'/neighbors' involvement
in the planning process. A specific suggestion I made
was for a 'planning for dummies' type webpage on the
planning department section of the city website,
clearly showing the typical, chronological time-line
of all meetings/departments/boards/committees involved
from start to finish (rezoning to development to
completion of construction).

City Councilman and 2006 INC president, Mike Woodard,
suggested that this would be a good initiative for the
INC.

I personally, do not have the time to commit to this
type of thing, aside from emailing
suggestions/comments/reviews/etc. from home. I am
already overextended with my neighborhood board of
directors and 2 neighborhood committees, not to
mention my increasing involvement with South Durham
development issues. (I hope that things will calm down
eventually in my neck of the woods, so that I can
devote more to INC initiatives in the future (touch
wood).

At any rate, please forgive my rambling and read the
emails below. If anyone else thinks this is a good
idea for INC, can we please discuss it at the May INC
(or a future) meeting?

Thanks!
Melissa

Melissa Rooney
Fairfield INC Rep

________________

Melissa:

I've had this website bookmarked for sometime.
However, if you click around it, you will see that it
is seriously out of date...approximately two years out
of date.

Rather than have the Planning Department link to this,
I think this would be a great task for INC to take on
and maintain.

Mike Woodard
Durham City Council
Email: mike.woodard at durhamnc.gov
Phone: 919.560.4396, x276
Web Site: www.durhamnc.gov

E-mail correspondence to and from this sender may be
subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and
may be disclosed to third parties.