INC NEWS - Durham County Library Adjusts Public Service Hours

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Aug 8 11:13:39 EDT 2007

Press Release from the Library.
RWP
27 Beverly

Durham County Library Adjusts Public Service Hours

Year-round Sunday Hours Begin Sept. 9, 2007

Durham-Durham County Library will adjust its hours of operation in
September so that one facility in each geographical area of the county
will be open Sunday afternoons year-round.  Beginning Sept. 9, Main
Library, East Regional Library, North Regional Library and Southwest
Branch Library will be open from 2 until 6 on Sundays.  To accomplish
the schedule change, the library system will shorten its public service
hours on Fridays at all facilities.

Beginning Sept. 4, 2007, which is the day after Labor Day, the hours of
operation for Main Library, East Regional Library, North Regional
Library and Southwest Branch Library will be:  9 a.m. to 9  p.m. Mondays
through Thursdays; 2 until 6 p.m. Fridays; 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturdays; and 2 until 6 p.m. on Sundays.  Parkwood Branch Library and
Stanford L. Warren Branch Library will follow the same schedule, except
for remaining closed on Sundays.

The change reflects the desires of the community, according to Library
Director Skip Auld.  He said that since coming on board in July 2006, he
has been listening to the community and that he has heard a number of
people talk about the need for Sunday hours throughout the year-not just
during the traditional school year.

"One person told me, 'Sundays are one of the best times for families to
use the library.  With both parents working, oftentimes Sundays may be
the only time we can get our kids to the library or do our own research
or just relax,'" he said.  "Another person who read in the newspaper
about the possibility of Sunday hours at multiple libraries said, 'It
almost sounds too good to be true.  My wife and I will be there a lot.'"

Auld also noted that Durham now has thousands of students attending
year-round schools and more than 1,100 students who are home-schooled.

"Lots of families depend on their neighborhood libraries for homework
resources in June, July and August.  In addition, the library has
incredible programs to keep everyone reading during the summer,
especially the Summer Reading Club.  I feel very strongly that our
libraries should match hours as closely as possible to the needs of our
customers."

On average, Durham County Library serves the fewest customers on
Fridays, with Friday mornings being the slowest period.  The new
schedule reflects that usage pattern.  In addition, the new schedule is
supported by research conducted in fall 2006 by UNC-Chapel Hill public
policy students who studied the library's hours of operation for their
senior project.

"Although I realize that some people will be inconvenienced by the new
schedule, I believe that that the changes are for the best," said Auld.
"I can't think of a better place for folks to gather and spend a Sunday
afternoon-for study or for pleasure."

The change in public service hours allows the libraries to open on
Sundays without budget increases for additional support or staffing,
said Auld.  It also allows time on Friday mornings for library and
county staff to accomplish tasks while the buildings are closed to the
public, including facilities maintenance and major collection
development projects.

The two small community libraries operated by Durham County Library will
retain their unique schedules.  Bragtown, 3200 Dearborn Dr., is open
from 1 to 6 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on
Saturdays.  McDougald Terrace, 1101 Lawson St., is open from 3:30 to
5:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Saturdays.

Durham County Library provides the entire community with books, services
and other resources that inform, inspire learning, cultivate
understanding and excite the imagination.

Jana A. Alexander

Marketing Manager

Durham County Library

P  (919) 560-0151