INC NEWS - Durham County Commissioners hearing on Transfer or Sales Tax

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:25:24 EDT 2007

Regardless of which tax you support (more property tax, sales tax, or
transfer tax), please come out to let the commissioners know what you think.

Time: August 13, 7:00 PM
Place: Durham County Commissioners' Chambers
           200 E. Main St., 2nd Floor

Commissioners' contact info:

Ellen Reckhow      ereckhow at aol.com
Becky Heron         beckymheron at nc.rr.com
Phil Cousin           prcousin at earthlink.net
Lewis Cheek         lcheek at durhamcouuntync.gov
Michael Page        mpage at durhamcountync.gov

Herald Sun article on how the Commissioners plan to gather information:
www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-871043.cfm

Estimates of what it would raise
On Monday, Ruffin said that in 2009 -- the first full year of collections --
the sales tax would generate $9.8 million, and the land transfer tax $11.6
million. (I don't know what $10M represents in property taxes, but it would
be a good thing to know)

What I had not realized is that there already is a .02% transfer tax, so we
are talking about a 0.04% increase in the tax.

Regards, pat