INC NEWS - Updated agenda for Tuesday delegate meeting

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 22 13:51:02 EDT 2007

Agenda for the Monthly meeting on Tuesday September 25, 2007
7-9pm in the Community Room
HERALD-SUN Building (2828 Pickett Road)
Directions: http://www.durhamINC.org/meetings.html
Refreshments are provided

Welcome and Introductions (10 min)

City and County Bond Referenda  (40 min)
•    The community will vote on these in November

10-Year Plan to End Homelessness (30 min)
•    Edy Thompson (10-Year Plan to End Homelessness) & Terry Allebaugh (Housing for New Hope)

Discussion  (20 min)

•    Durham, Can You Spare a Change (see attached resolution)
•    Presentation of Officer Slate by Nominating Committee (vote in October)

Updates  (20 min)

•    Updates from Other Organizations
•    Minutes and Treasurer’s Report
•    Substance Abuse Report
•    Hero Awards
•    Neighborhood Summit
•    Other updates and new business

Announcements / Events (5 min)
•    Next meeting – October 23
•    Primary Election – October 9
•    Benefit for Coalition to Unchain Dogs – October 13, www.unchaindogs.net/benefit.html

For additional information, contact David Harris at harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
To update information on your neighborhood, neighbors at durham-cvb.com or 680-8328

 “Only in the continuous encounter with other persons, does the person become and remain a person.
The place of this encounter is the community”
www.durhamINC.org

A RESOLUTION OF THE INTERNEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL EXPRESSING
SUPPORT FOR “DURHAM CAN YOU SPARE A CHANGE” Campaign;

WHEREAS, in response to the intricacy associated with what has been described by some Durham citizens as “panhandling;” and

WHEREAS, the Interneighborhood Council represents a vital component of the community (our neighborhoods) and has the best interest of the entire community in mind; and

WHEREAS, the Interneighborhood Council’s Panhandling Task Force, comprised of INC board members and delegates, along with the assistance and insight of Durham leaders, citizens, nonprofits, and churches, looked at campaigns used in other communities, talked with one another, discussed the campaign, our concerns, accomplishments, and outcomes and we all have expressed a need for compassion, tolerance and diversity; and

WHEREAS, the goals of the task force are:

•    to create alternative ways of giving.  This campaign is not about saying ‘no’ to panhandlers or about decreasing the public’s compassion towards panhandlers.
•    to encourage citizens to donate their time, their money, and themselves, to local organizations that offer services such as meals, shelters, job training, rehabilitation, mental health, and health care.
•    to ensure people in need have access to food, shelter and other basic services through charitable and governmental agencies.
•    to discourage unacceptable, threatening behavior and panhandling in Durham through education, compassion, interaction, and legal means.

WHEREAS, The “Durham Can You Spare A Change” campaign seeks to:

•    educate ourselves and our community on giving, sharing, and donating; and to think of alternative ways to do this.
•    create and foster an environment that encourages communication, compassion, respect, and support for all members of our community; and

WHEREAS, we do believe that through education, caring, and giving we can help keep Durham’s public places comfortable and safe for all its citizens;

NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the delegation of the Interneighborhood Council, Durham, NC supports the INC’s Panhandling Task Force program called “Durham Can You Spare A Change.”

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Interneighborhood Council urges all Durham citizens, leaders, and their community to participate in the education and enhancement efforts of this campaign to make a positive difference in the lives of all people in Durham.