INC NEWS - Panhandling Ban

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 5 21:35:46 EDT 2007

Have to admit, awhile back I too would have fully supported the ban on
panhandling.
Today, with all due respect for Commissioner Cheek, I'd agree with Ken
Gasch, it's the wrong route.

First, by Cheek's own admission, since it only covers area outside the  city,
it will have little to no effect.
Why work on anything with that expected result?

Second, while there's been no scientific survey, my understanding of the
citizen's feelings are that we want to help these people, not add another
problem to their plight.

The big difference of these two very different approaches, is that the
Durham Can You Spare a Change Campaign targets us, the givers. It asks us all to
realize we might be contributing to the problem, and it's our contributions
that  are standing in the way of helping these individuals, which is our real
desire.

>From the experts we have learned that every dollar we give them (usually)
must be spent before the individual seeks the real assistance they need.

When I say "experts", I'm referring to those who's collective opinions
formed the basis of the first draft of the brochure. Note it's still in DRAFT
form, for example the donation portion will be eliminated.
Here's the current draft    _www.CanYouSpareAChange.org_
(http://www.CanYouSpareAChange.org)

While they were not asked to contribute financially, the experts made a  huge
contribution by working together, it's no small task to get everyone on the
same page! Those experts include: Urban Ministries, Rescue Mission, Housing
for  New Hope, etc. Their outstanding contribution should be mentioned when
listing  the financial contributors. All contributors will be listed in the final
version, and I hope that Durham County will be one of them.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 10/5/2007 4:20:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Ken at KenGasch.com writes:

On Monday night, the BOCC  is once again considering a proposal to make
panhandling illegal in Durham  county.  Less than 2 years ago, I fully supported
such a measure.   I no longer  support this idea.  I, for one, favor a different
approach.   You may read about that approach at _www.CanYouSpareAChange.org_
(http://www.canyouspareachange.org/) .

I credit Risa Foster as  the primary brain of this effort.  Bill Anderson,
the money guy, has  raised $1,600.00 so far and the gate is still down.  The
contributors so  far have been Housing for New Hope, Worth Hill, Julie Seagroves,
Forest Hills  Neighborhood Association, Downtown Durham Inc and the DCVB.

Rather than pan a law  against the panhandlers, I would ask that our BOCC
consider supporting this  campaign.

Ken  Gasch

INC-list  mailing  list
INC-list at rtpnet.org