INC NEWS - Durham does need a change...

Reyn Bowman Reyn at Durham-cvb.com
Sat Oct 6 12:36:43 EDT 2007

I regularly witness it.  People often slow down and stop traffic.  I've
also seen people leaving restaurants giving panhandlers money and we
recently dealt with one who was working American Tobacco and a security
guard was keeping him in cash.

Many people are conflicted with more than guilt I believe.   They have
no idea of the dangers and down side and they don't have a clue about
the safety net agencies that already deal with the genuine problems
involved.

From: inc-list-bounces at rtpnet.org [mailto:inc-list-bounces at rtpnet.org]
On Behalf Of pat carstensen
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 10:48 AM
To: inc-list at durhaminc.org
Subject: Re: INC NEWS - Durham does need a change...

I was just wondering -- has anyone ever seen anyone give money to a
panhandler.   For all the time I spend stopped along 15-501, I've never
seen money change hands.  Which makes me think that the panhandlers are
like spammers -- very low success rate but enough traffic that it pays
off.  which makes it sort of a needle in a haystack to find people who
giv emoney.  But every one you convince to stop doing so cuts
significantly into the return on effort for the panhandler.

It would be interesting to see who gives money to panhandlers, how much
they give each time, etc.

Regards, pat