INC NEWS - Watering with Gray Water ILLEGAL?

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 17:07:29 EDT 2007

Got the following from my neighborhood listserv.

"Did you see the article in the N&O about it being
illegal to use grey water from showers, dishwater,
etc?  outside in your yard?  It actually is wastewater
that can create bacteria, pathogens, etc.  and become
a public health hazard.  It was a surprise to me!"

If this is true, it's ridiculous. Generations before
us have watered their plants/lawns with their gray
water (from dishes and showers, NOT toilets).

Meanwhile, fertilizers containing nitrates and
phosphates are okay, as well as compost piles dug in
the ground...and we can swim in Jordan lake or Eno
River (isn't this the same contamination as a
shower?). Not to mention the runoff from sewage
treatment that has been observed flowing into the NE
Creek!

I would greatly appreciate some clarification on this
matter, as I have been watering my outdoor plants with
gray water for quite some time now.

Sincere,
Melissa Rooney