INC NEWS - Today's Durham Advisory Board Meeting

Chuck Clifton charlyrandy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 13:03:00 EST 2007

Community Members,

This morning I had an opportunity to attend the Durham YMCA Advisory Board
(DAB) meeting long enough to present many of the community's concerns with
the current Lakewood YMCA Task Force recommendation and the process with
which the have pursued this recommendation.  Below is a link to my
presentation to the DAB.  Below also is a link to a summary of all the
reports prepared by the various groups for the Task Force.  I prepared this
for them because I had heard that some members of the DAB had not seen some
of these reports.  I also took the opportunity to point out our concerns
with some of the recommendations/conclusions and to highlight
recommendations which do not seem to have been considered by the Task
Force.

I did not have long to talk and then I had to leave (remember, the DAB
meetings are closed).  However, I can confirm that they will not be voting
on the Task Force's recommendation today as had previously been planned.
Instead, they will be holding a public hearing in the next several weeks to
give the community a chance to come and speak on the issue.  I think this is
tremendous progress!

They have suggested the meeting be next week.  I told them I did not think
that gave folks enough time to ensure they could attend and recommended it
be held the week of November 26.  I also asked that the meeting be held at a
convenient time and place for folks to attend (during the week, in the
evening, probably at Lyon Park Community Center).  And I asked that the YMCA
send a letter of invitation to all Durham YMCA members.  That probably won't
happen because they said that was too many members to send letters.  They
will probably only send letters to Lakewood YMCA members and then post a
sign at the Downtown and American Tobacco YMCAs.  We'll see what happens.

My presentation to the DAB:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd83nhq8_230f8cqdq

Summary of reports to Task Force:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pTEGvVVKj51NLz6150WHsPQ

Kind regards,
Chuck Clifton

"The biggest problem confronting the world today is the illusion
that our differences matter more than our common humanity."
            ~ William Jefferson Clinton