INC NEWS - Fire prevention; trees please; more drought tips; events

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 10:14:10 EST 2007

Preventing Fires

I feel that it is urgent that public officials and the media remind people
about steps that may be taken to help prevent fires.  One reason for
presenting suggestions to prevent fires is that putting out fires takes a
lot of water.  Loose sparks can cause fires.  I wish that Durham would ban
the use of firecrackers during droughts.

---------

Effect of Maintaining Trees

Every time I see a lot with every tree on a piece of property cut I become
alarmed and appalled.

If new developments, shopping centers and individual houses were to keep
established trees ---

1. the developments would not have to care for new trees because established
plants do not need as much water;

2. the trees would offer shade which would hold moisture for other plantings
and decrease energy bills during the warm months;

3.  the trees would offer less impervious surfaces so that water would go
into the ground instead of running off;

4.  would contribute, in a microscopic way, to helping with climate change
and

5.  these larger trees are more aesthetically pleasing than smaller trees.

I had thought the city required developers to replant plants when they
remove trees that are larger than a certain diameter.  A former city council
member informed me that the ordinance was changed.  I would like to have
back an ordinance that stated developers would need to replace the trees
they cut with another plant.  I would hope that once such a rule was on the
books that the rule be enforced.

I look forward to the time when the city will be able to return to planting
and replanting trees.

----------

More Radical Water Saving Measures Need to be Required by the City

1.  Ask that hotels and motels implement a plan to save water, or at least
do so on a voluntary basis.  That is let their customers know what actions
they may take to inform housekeeping that they do not desire their towels
and sheets to be washed every day.

2.  Have major users (such as Duke University, Duke Hospital and industry)
install attachments on their sinks and replace their shower heads with low
flow shower heads to cut back on water usage.  (I understand that Duke is
giving out shower heads to their employees today but what actions are taking
place on it¹s campus?)

--------------

Events

through December 14

Durham Art Guild Members Holiday Sale

All work $300 or less

Buy quality work from the oldest art guild in NC

Durham Arts Council 560-2713
120 Morris St., Durham

---------

Saturdays:
Dec 15, 22
Jan 5, 19
Feb 2, 16
March 1, 15, 29

Durham Farmers Market will run through the winter again this year. This
winter the market is planning on staying in the pavilion on Foster St. (near
Scrap Exchange and Durham Athletic Park) and then the regular schedule will
begin again on April 5th.

------------

through December 24

5ive
5 women photographers that are part of the exhibit are: Kathy Lee, Eleanor
Mills, Courtney Reid-Eaton, Roberta Wallace and Mary Walter
<http://www.throughthislens.com/>

Through This Lens 687-0250
303 E. Chapel Hill Street, Durham
www.throughthislens.com <http://www.throughthislens.com/>
FREE

-----------

Dec. 28 at 8 p.m.

Transactors Improv Presents...
City of Medicine
If you love Grey's Anatomy... If you're A-OK with E.R... If you want to walk
in House's shoes... Then the play  City of Medicine is for you! Transactors
proudly presents a serial improv experience once a month at Common Ground
Theatre.  Join us as we travel the glittering hallways of Durham's newest
teaching hospital where who you heal is not near as important as whose heart
you steal...

Common Ground Theatre
4815-B Hillsborough Rd.
http://www.apeandastrount.com/

Tickets: $10- General, $7- Students
Reservations: (919) 698-3870 or by e-mail

-------------

through January 7

Re-collecting Family Albums: Finding Home After Katrina

Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University in the Porch Gallery

------

through January 6

Stories from the Center
Projects of the Faculty and Staff of the Center for Documentary Studies

Center for Documentary Studies in the Lyndhurst Gallery 660-3663
1317 West Pettigrew, Durham
http://cds.aas.duke.edu <http://cds.aas.duke.edu/>
Visitors might wish to call (919) 660-3663 before they make a special trip
to see an exhibition, to ensure that the galleries are open.
DIRECTIONS: http://cds.aas.duke.edu/about/here.html

Through January 10

CraftLand features handmade goods produced by local artists using repurposed
materials.

Scrap Exchange 688-6960
548 Foster St (D)

Laura