[Durham INC] [owdna] Re: [pac2] Developments regarding Electronic billboards in Durham

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon Jan 19 19:49:28 EST 2009

I'm not on a bunch of these other lists. But I posed the question to
Fairway today about removing as many billboards as the new digital
billboards will replace (7 changes a minute would be 6 billboards to be
removed if a digital billboard was to replace a non-digital one). It was
clearly not going to happen like that. They had no intention of removing
any billboards but the one the new digital billboard would replace.

RWP
27 Beverly

> Kelly
>
> I have no vested interest in having all of us consider any proposal....
> because there isn't any proposal yet!
>
> You seem pretty vested in getting everyone to make up their minds before
> they've even heard what is being proposed. Why?
>
> Try the same question I asked John, "If Fairway offered to take down all
> of
> their signs in exchange for one single electronic board, would you vote
> for
> that?"
>
> How would you vote, Kelly?
>
> If you know what they are proposing, please share it. If you don't know,
> then why the push to get everyone to vote prior to hearing it? What's the
> rush?
>
> Bill
>

> In a message dated 1/19/2009 3:57:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> kjj1 at duke.edu writes:
>

> Marcia--
> Your point is well taken. And Rodrigo's email was simple &  to the point.
>
> I can see why Fairway and their hired representatives  want Durhams
> existing
> prohibition of electronic billboards overturned. What I  don't understand
> is
> what Mike and Bill have invested in having all of us  consider Fairway's
> proposal? Why they insist on putting "compromise" on the  table? Why
> should we even
> consider overturning our existing billboard  ordinances to allow
> electronic
> billboards? It seems likely to me that the  reason there's no text to
> consider
> is that Fairway withdrew proposed text when  they sensed the depth of
> community
> resistance to their electronic  billboards.
>
> The bit about Durham's foodie culture being saved by  electronic billboard
> ads directing hungry highway drivers to an independent  restaurant is
> perhaps
> the most entertaining fantasy I've read so far. As if  the success of
> Durham's
> foodie culture will be helped by electronic billboards  . . . . why do we
> need
> to be good enough to warrant coverage in Southern  Living, Food & Wine,
> Gourmet, or any other national publication when our  home-grown foodie
> restaurants
> can be saved by Fairway's electronic  billboards.
>
> Kelly
>
> Marcia Kirinus wrote:
>

> Mike - Seems like the  community has made up it's mind. I'm not sure I
> would
> constitute a firm  resolve as an 'emotional reaction'.  The only thing I'm
> confused  about is why you want to encourage Fairway to continue
> discussions.
> What's  in it for you?  If you have opposing views, stop beating your
> chest,
> and tell us (all) why we need to be pro billboards.  No  theatrics, no
> [...]

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.