[Durham INC] Fw: News From Durham People's Alliance

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:24:21 EST 2009

I'm generally frustrated by this whole exchange.  On the one hand, the cost of the county doing its own survey would cover the salary of at least one employee for the whole year -- something to consider in these tough times.  On the other hand, the developers have enlarged every possible loophole -- a record that makes me want to check every word they say (including the "buts" and the "ands", to quote some famous person).I'm not sure why doing our own survey has to cost so much.  It's probably the "truth is proportional to what you pay for it" theorem.  Somewhere in the report, there has to be some facts that could be independently verified (get some geo-caching folks out on the corps lands to check some co-ordinates or something) or some other way that we can do the "verify" part of "trust but verify."Regards, pat  Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 20:38:00 -0800From: mmr121570 at yahoo.comTo: inc-list at durhaminc.orgSubject: Re: [Durham INC] Fw: News From Durham People's AllianceKen,This issue has been covered extensively by the N&O, Herald Sun, Independent Weekly, and several blogs since November, 2008. Here are some good links -- Matt Saldana, with the Indy, does a great job of including links to the actual letters and sources of his information, so that you can form your own opinion based on the facts:http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A271898http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A272431http://www.indyweekblogs.com/triangulator/tag/jordan-lake/--Melissa (Rooney)--- On Sun, 2/8/09, Ken Gasch <Ken at KenGasch.com> wrote:From: Ken Gasch <Ken at KenGasch.com>Subject: RE: [Durham INC] Fw: News From Durham People's
 AllianceTo: "Barry Ragin" <bragin at nc.rr.com>Cc: mmr121570 at yahoo.com, inc-list at durhaminc.orgDate: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 10:13 AMBarry,Don't get so worked up.  I do not know enough about the circumstances todecide either way.  I will probably not be able to decide based on theinformation I currently have access to.Ken Gasch-----Original Message-----From: Barry Ragin [mailto:bragin at nc.rr.com]Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 9:59 AMTo: Ken GaschCc: mmr121570 at yahoo.com; inc-list at durhaminc.orgSubject: Re: [Durham INC] Fw: News From Durham People's AllianceHow does the People's Alliance statement "cast stones?" Or callanyone"guilty?" This isn't a criminal trial, and there is no need for apresumption of innocence or proof of guilt.It merely states: "No matter the accuracy or inaccuracy of the survey,this is a dangerous precedent and does
 not serve the best interests ofthe citizens of Durham. Any adjustments to the normal pool boundary andcritical watershed boundary should be made only on *the basis of animpartial and independent survey by a firm hired by the Durham CountyCommissioners*."That there is a conflict of interest in accepting a survey paid for bysomeone who stands to profit from that survey is so blindingly obviousthat even our County Commissioners should be able to recognize it. If ataxpayer funded survey shows the same results, they can still bechallenged on scientific grounds, but at least the credibility of theprocess will remain intact. If i were a developer, i think i'd farprefer that scenario.Barry RaginKen Gasch wrote:> Would it not be wise to speak to the developer before casting stones?> Or, are all developers sinister villains who are guilty until proven>
 innocent?>> Ken Gasch> REALTOR®/Broker> Seagroves Realty> www.KenGasch.com> C: 919.475.8866> F: 866.229.4267>>     -----Original Message----->     *From:* inc-list-bounces at rtpnet.org>     [mailto:inc-list-bounces at rtpnet.org]*On Behalf Of *Melissa Rooney>     *Sent:* Saturday, February 07, 2009 11:37 PM>     *To:* inc-list at durhaminc.org>     *Subject:* [Durham INC] Fw: News From Durham People's Alliance>>     Please see the People's Alliance's Statement-- against the>     Developer-paid Jordan Lake Survey -- posted in their Feb 5>     newsletter (attached below).>>>     Shouldn't the INC make a statement on this issue at our Feb>     meeting? It would be best if someone other than me brought this>     forward, since I've already been at the helm of the resolution for>     responsible
 development as well as the petition for an Independent>     Jordan Lake Survey (>     http://www.petitiononline.com/jrdnsrvy/petition.html )>>>     Thanks in advance for your concern and help in this very serious>     matter!>>     Melissa (Rooney)>>>     Feb 5 Statement in the PA newsletter:>>>     "Recently the Durham County Commission voted, 3-2, to support a>     survey of the boundary of Jordan Lake paid for by a developer who>     stands to benefit from a change in the lake's official boundaries.>     PA responded in a letter to the County Commission:>>     "The Durham People's Alliance opposes modifications of the>     Critical Watershed Boundary of Jordan Lake based on a survey paid>     for by a private developer with obvious self-interest.>>     We are disappointed that a majority of
 CountyCommissioners voted>     to send to the state Water Supply Watershed Protection Program for>     approval, a survey that a developer has paid for that>     coincidentally shifts the normal pool boundary away from the>     developer's property, thereby increasing its value many times>     over. No matter the accuracy or inaccuracy of the survey, this is>     a dangerous precedent and does not serve the best interests of the>     citizens of Durham. Any adjustments to the normal pool boundary>     and critical watershed boundary should be made only on the basis>     of an impartial and independent survey by a firm hired by the>     Durham County Commissioners.">>     The full PA statement can be seen on the PA website:>     www.durhampa.org.">>     --- On *Fri, 2/6/09, Durham People's Alliance>     /<durhampa at mindspring.com>/*
 wrote:>>         From: Durham People's Alliance <durhampa at mindspring.com>>         Subject: News From Durham People's Alliance>         To: mmr121570 at yahoo.com>         Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 11:05 AM>>         Durham People's Alliance>         Activist Agenda>         February 5, 2009>>>         *In This Issue *>         New Beginnings: Dave Austin selected for PA Coordinator role>         <#LETTER.BLOCK6>>         PA Office -- Space to Share <#LETTER.BLOCK7>>         PA Website & Database Rejuvenation <#LETTER.BLOCK8>>         PA sustenance. <#LETTER.BLOCK9>>         PA Advocates Against Electronic Billboards <#LETTER.BLOCK10>>         Jordan Lake Survey -- Unbiased? <#LETTER.BLOCK11>>         Immigrant Solidarity Committee of Durham being Organized>
      <#LETTER.BLOCK12>>         Third Annual NAACP HK on J March <#LETTER.BLOCK13>>         "Gotta Go: Ethics in Exile" Film Series<#LETTER.BLOCK14>>         Hunger No More -- A hunger Crisis Conference<#LETTER.BLOCK15>>         Campaign for Decent Housing in Durham Feb Meeting>         <#LETTER.BLOCK16>>         Best Recent Read: "Whatever Happened to the Jobs">         <#LETTER.BLOCK17>>>         Join Our Mailing List!>        <http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101533150281>>>         *Quick Links*>         Quicklink 1><http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102427853964&e=001EMoFwIG59rOI0bn8fSPlUFTgEQs8aMQvdSEHHcC332kag8aIyBzxYgjk047Rl2m5KDxUNFcI8KPnGMUdSrbuYT8a77fr-d1uKXDLSsitTbk=>>         Quicklink
 2><http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102427853964&e=001EMoFwIG59rOI0bn8fSPlUFTgEQs8aMQvdSEHHcC332kag8aIyBzxYgjk047Rl2m5KDxUNFcI8KPnGMUdSrbuYT8a77fr-d1uKXDLSsitTbk=>>         Quicklink 3><http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102427853964&e=001EMoFwIG59rOI0bn8fSPlUFTgEQs8aMQvdSEHHcC332kag8aIyBzxYgjk047Rl2m5KDxUNFcI8KPnGMUdSrbuYT8a77fr-d1uKXDLSsitTbk=>>>>>         Dear PA members, friends, sustainers>         pa logo>         The PA Activist Agenda will normally focus on upcoming events>         sponsored by progressive organizations in the community and>         state. But in this issue we want to start with news from PA>         itself. Thanks for hanging in there with us through the last>         few months while we dealt with some interesting issues. We're>         back!!>>         New Beginnings: Dave Austin selected
 for coordinator role>         Dave Austin pictureDave Austin, who was recently selected to>         fill the Coordinator position, is a long-time PA member - a>         Coordinating Committee member for 3-4 years in the early 90s,>         and PA-PAC coordinator for 4-5 years in the late 90s. An>         ex-Peace Corps volunteer (Western Samoa '70 - '72), Dave>         worked in worker advocacy organizations - the Carolina Brown>         Lung Association and the NC Occupational Safety & Health>         Project (NCOSH) for 10 years after graduating from the UNC SPH>         in 1976. He then worked at the UNC Environmental Resource>         Project for a year, next created and directed the>         workplace-giving United Way alternative, N.C. Community Shares>         (still going strong), and then worked for 17 years at RTI,>         before leaving 2 years
 ago. He and his wife Pam George have>         recently moved "downtown" (behind Duke East), and haveone>         daughter, Kemen. He's happy to have a closer connection to PA>         members, happy to see so many friends still on PA membership>         lists, happy to see lots of people he doesn't know on those>         lists (!) and happy to provide his youthful (??!!) energy and>         exuberance to this project.>>>         *PA Office -- Space to Share>         *>         Dave is working out of the PA office in the NC Democracy South>         building at the corner of Broad and Iredell streets in Durham.>         PA was sharing this small office, and its cost, with one other>         tenant, who has now, unfortunately, left. Sharing the cost was>         financially advantageous to PA, so we'd like to find another>         co-tenant.
 If you know someone or some organization who would>         be content to share our small space for a small cost, let Dave>         know (682-7777 or email: durhampa at mindspring.com).>>         *PA Website and Database Rejuvenation*>         Website Rejunvenation>         The PA CC has hired Andy Edmonds to give the PA website a much>         needed overhaul, and to analyze database needs and capabilities.>>         Andy grew up in Pennsylvania and moved to Durham in 2005 after>         earning a Masters in Geography from the University of South>         Carolina. He and his wife, Jenny, were married in January of>         2006 and held their wedding reception in Bay 7 of the American>         Tobacco Historic District. Andy is currently a stay-at-home>         dad with their first child, Robbie. Andy's interests in>         theater, kayaking, and
 hiking have led him to hold volunteer>         positions with the Carolina Theatre and the Durham Open Space>         and Trails Commission. He also sits on the Preservation Durham>         Board of Directors and has coordinated, for the last three>         years, the Saturday morning, historic downtown Durham walking>         tours. Andy has led over 20 tours and developed the>         organization's first Ghost [building] Tour, held this past>         Halloween. AND he knows websites and databases!>>>         *PA Sustenance*>         The abrupt loss of the previous PA staff person in June, 2008,>         together with many demands on PA Coordinating Committee>         volunteers, created a problem for PA's cash flow. Because>         appeals were not regularly sent out, money was not regularly>         flowing in. Surprise! One high priority is
 improving the>         system for reminding you what good work PA does, how important>         your donations are, and how pleased we are to see them on a>         regular basis. Not the least reason of which would be to>         increase staff hours from 10 to a more reasonable 12>         hours/week. Look for more in the newsletter, and in your>         personal mail or email for our appeal for your help to get>         back on track. Soon.>>         PA Advocates Against "Electronic Billboards">         "Coming to Durham?" billboard>>         At a recent membership meeting, Durham People's Alliance voted>         to oppose a billboard industry initiative that would allow>         electronic billboards to be installed along Durham area>         highways. These bills boards waste energy, pose safety>         challenges, and reduce the quality
 of life for neighborhoods>         that already put up with traffic noise. IN addition, federal>         law requires that, if future Durham citizens ever want. to>         remove billboards they would have to reimburse the company for>         the costs of the billboard AND the future revenue the>         billboard would generate. The revenue generated by electronic>         billboards would make such action cost prohibitive. Electronic>         billboards would be here forever.>>         The full text of the PA resolution can be seen at>         www.durhampa.org><http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102427853964&e=001EMoFwIG59rPzx2c5s1jNN5QjM2Iii2LopiUxYMdUjWJMM804tSfQSy_0Ti1EXcgmv-6wUTtrNfU9LkrUO_Tu05X6spnThRVP7gvLO1V0cluugqq6aufZCQ==>>         , and the issue will be covered in more depth in the upcoming>         PA newsletter.>>
   PA takes (some) County Commissioners to task for Jordan Lake>         survey vote>>         Recently the Durham County Commission voted, 3-2, to support a>         survey of the boundary of Jordan Lake paid for by a developer>         who stands to benefit from a change in the lake's official>         boundaries. PA responded in a letter to the County Commission:>>         "The Durham People's Alliance opposes modifications ofthe>         Critical Watershed Boundary of Jordan Lake based on a survey>         paid for by a private developer with obvious self-interest.>>         We are disappointed that a majority of CountyCommissioners>         voted to send to the state Water Supply Watershed Protection>         Program for approval, a survey that a developer has paid for>         that coincidentally shifts the normal pool boundary away
 from>         the developer's property, thereby increasing its value many>         times over. No matter the accuracy or inaccuracy of the>         survey, this is a dangerous precedent and does not serve the>         best interests of the citizens of Durham. Any adjustments to>         the normal pool boundary and critical watershed boundary>         should be made only on the basis of an impartial and>         independent survey by a firm hired by the Durham County>         Commissioners.">>         The full PA statement can be seen on the PA website:>         www.durhampa.org.>>         Immigrant Solidarity Committee of Durham being organized>         Immigrant Solidarity Committee of Durham being organized -->         volunteers needed. Inaugural meeting: 2/18/09.>>         Immigrant Solidarity Committee of Durham -- a project of
 the>         American Friends Service Committee. The objective: Triangle>         residents working together to promote welcoming and>         compassionate attitudes towards our immigrant neighbors.>>         Inaugural meeting: Wed. Feb. 18 from 6:30-8:30pm (6:30 Meal>         provided; 7:00 meeting begins) Place: Durham Friends Meeting>         -- 404 Alexander Drive, Durham, 27705>>         Contact: Lori Khamala 336-413-8905, LKhamala at afsc.org>         <mailto:LKhamala at afsc.org>>>         Please let me know if you are coming, so we can plan for food.>         Call also if you have questions or need child care.>>         Workplace raids creating a culture of fear. Routine traffic>         stops leading to detention for months. Deportations tearing>         apart families. Cities passing discriminatory ordinances.>
 Media pundits dehumanizing members of our community. People of>         good will throughout the state are fed up with the hateful>         anti-immigrant rhetoric filling our airwaves and the>         mean-spirited actions being taken against immigrant neighbors.>         Now is the time to unite in support of our immigrant brothers>         and sisters and work together to change the discourse into one>         that acknowledges the humanity of all members of our community.>>         *Third Annual NAACP HK on J March in Downtown Raleigh*>         *February 14, 2009 - 3rd Annual NAACP HK on J March in>         Downtown Raleigh>         *HK on J: Historic Thousands on Jones Street>         So far, more than 75 organizations have joined together and>         thousands of North Carolinians have marched and rallied in>         support of HK on J's 14-point
 civil rights agenda. In 2009,>         the HK on J coalition will commit even more vigorously to this>         agenda, as well as reform of the criminal justice system to>         prevent prosecutorial misconduct against any person,>         regardless of race. See the entire agenda at>         http://www.hkonj.com/><http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102427853964&e=001EMoFwIG59rOUZIcS4vB6OHjDCobofJ1GU7duqBP_xCvaJyAChUneymhUc6UjQkex6JkbUIMcSucnY9N5Cv--0W5_Nx_ZRKMdpJxnNSOzBYg=>.>>         *"Gotta Go: Ethics in Exile" Film Series*>         2009 Ethics Film Series at Duke University: "Gotta Go: Ethics>         in Exile" continues TUE 2/24. 7pm. Griffith Film Theater,>         Bryan Center, West Campus, Duke University, Durham.>>         The 2009 series features four documentaries about people>         forced into exile, whether by political,
 economic, or natural>         causes. They find themselves questioning what constitutes>         home, who constitutes authority, and where a sense of meaning>         and truth resides. The films encourage us to consider the>         ideas of place and displacement. Free and open to the public.>         Free parking available in the BryanCenter parking deck.>         Refreshments provided.>         **TUE 2/24 -- THE AXE IN THE ATTIC>         **TUE 3/24 -- THE BETRAYAL (NERAKHOON)>         **TUE 4/24 -- PRIMO LEVI'S JOURNEY>         For more detailed information: 919-660-3033 or kie at duke.edu>         <mailto:kie at duke.edu>>>         *Hunger No More -- A Hunger Crisis Conference. 2/27-28/09*>>         Hunger No More - A Hunger Crisis Conference>         The Catholic Community of St. Francis of Assisi, 11401>         Leesville Rd.,
 Raleigh>         The Franciscan Coalition for Justice and Peace invites you to>         join us as we host a hunger crisis conference on Feb. 27 & 28,>         2009. Entitled "Hunger No More," this conference willassemble>         individuals from all over the country to address ways people>         of faith and good will can respond to hunger at home and>         abroad. For more info or to register see ->         http://www.franciscancoalition.org/HungerConference.php><http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102427853964&e=001EMoFwIG59rN8mlyZ-WVan9DxVI99uUWvcgD7b7pcUK4INYl_mdSPJYrtntjRGQOuVG6EUMrh65HTiTpbJOA4rTFac4gp3nG9FbxzBHu3T2H09yVN7Aj6eNUeS_8WkTd2SuloA2d0td-8s72B4AzX6Jmzf_VIxMwO>>         or contact 919-847-8205 ext 267,>         joseph.wolyniak at stfrancisraleigh.org>         <mailto:joseph.wolyniak at stfrancisraleigh.org> Registration ->
  Regular ($40.00); Student ($20.00); Hardship ($20.00)>>         *Campaign for Decent Housing in Durham -- February meeting *>>         Campaign for Decent Housing in Durham.>>         Meeting Tuesday, February 17, 5:00-6:00pm>>         Place: City Neighborhood Improvement Services; Golden Belt>         Building 2, 3rd floor; 807 E. Main St. on Morning Glory Ave.>>         Work on our 2009 Goals: - Foreclosure prevention - Vacant>         house reuse - Neighborhood planning - Energy efficient homes ->         Housing for people who are homeless. Questions? Contact:>         Lorisa Seibel, Durham Affordable Housing Coalition: 683-1185.>>         *Best Recent Read: "Whatever Happened to the Jobs" -- NC>         Justice Center*>         Best Recent Read: "Whatever Happened to the Jobs -- A Tale of>         Two Economic
 Cycles" by John Quinterno at the NC Budget and>         Tax Center of the NC Justice Center. Go to www.ncjustice.org>         for the full report.>>         Durham People's Alliance>>>         Forward email><http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101533150281&ea=mmr121570%40yahoo.com&a=1102427853964>>         Safe Unsubscribe><http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=0018qhVFXyt4BgXcdby8oxwPQgQTYyvrD9XVdoMM8YHtdz0Ua_gv3NyL_eE6ZpgU5dkXdolP6uBo8Y%3D&p=un>>>         This email was sent to mmr121570 at yahoo.com by>         durhampa at mindspring.com <mailto:durhampa at mindspring.com>.>         Update Profile/Email Address><http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=0018qhVFXyt4BgXcdby8oxwPQgQTYyvrD9XVdoMM8YHtdz0Ua_gv3NyL_eE6ZpgU5dkXdolP6uBo8Y%3D&p=oo>>         | Instant removal with
 SafeUnsubscribe><http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=0018qhVFXyt4BgXcdby8oxwPQgQTYyvrD9XVdoMM8YHtdz0Ua_gv3NyL_eE6ZpgU5dkXdolP6uBo8Y%3D&p=un>™>         | Privacy Policy>         <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.>>         Email Marketing>         <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=HiTech> by>         <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=HiTech>>>         Durham People's Alliance | 1821 Green Street | Suite 102 |>         Durham | NC | 27705>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------>> _______________________________________________> Durham INC Mailing List> list at durham-inc.org> http://www.durham-inc.org/list.html>