[Durham INC] Neighborhoods Hike -- listen to 90.7 FM (3/28 @11 AM)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 15:06:31 EDT 2009

folks,

WNCU's Radio Skywriter is devoting this week's program to the upcoming Neighborhoods Hike in West Durham.

Tune in Saturday, March 28 at 11 AM on 90.7 FM. Conversation will mostly cover some history of the areas around West Durham and East Campus...

have a great weekend,
John

****

Neighborhoods hike: Watts Hospital, Walltown, Trinity Park, East Campus, Old West Durham & beyond

Saturday, April 11 at 9:00 AM

Meet at Indian Trail Park (Indian Trail & Albany)

Why is Ninth Street called Ninth Street? Where did Madonna take early dance lessons? What Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist went to EK Powe school? Was Duke Chapel really going to be built north of East Campus? What song writer for Nora Jones and Lou Rawls was "born on a kitchen table" near Magnolia Grill?

Come along and find out...

4-mile loop starts at Indian Trail Park.

We'll start by walking along the West Ellerbe Trail in the 17-acre wood. Then we'll head up through the Watts-Hillandale neighborhood and cross Club Blvd (near 9th Street). We'll go down a hidden route, over to Markham Ave by Trinity Heights, past the homes of Duke's famous faculty and coaches on Buchanan. We'll then go down Watts Street, past Trinity Park park, and come back across East Campus.

We'll stroll up Ninth Street, past EK Powe, and see the South Ellerbe Creek Nature Area. We'll walk through an old mill village and check out a historic Sears house. We'll continue up Oakland, past Oval Park, and back to Indian Trail Park.

You'll see a little nature and learn some Durham history along the way. We might even get into current events in the Bull City.

Local history lover John Schelp will narrate along the way. You don't have to register.

Indian Trail Park is located at Indian Trail & Albany (east side of Hillandale golf course; south of I-85 & Hillandale Rd).

Ample parking is available on Albany St and nearby. Sponsored by the Sierra Club.

More info & old streetmap... http://www.owdna.org/selfguidedtourOWD.htm