[Durham INC] Re-gifting - contributing in-kind items to nonprofits

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 20:58:43 EST 2009

This information may be useful for those searching for places to contribute
unwanted things, re-gift, are preparing to move, or are looking to buy
items.

These groups and nonprofit businesses operate in Durham, serve the Durham
community, and/or may be of interest to Durham residents. Most offer a tax
deduction for your in-kind donations.

This list includes a brief description of each group¹s purpose and links to
their list of high-priority needs.

The groups marked with [Other] are suggestions that came from other people.

Coalition to Unchain Dogs
PO Box 3259, Durham, NC 27715
³A non-profit, volunteer effort dedicated to improving the welfare of dogs
living outdoors on chains. We have freed over 400 dogs from their chains,
but many more are still waiting. Since we are an all-volunteer organization,
100% of your donation goes to helping local dogs get unchained!²
Wish List: http://www.unchaindogs.net/donations.shtml

Durham Animal Protection Society of Durham (919) 560-0640
2117 E. Club Blvd., Durham, NC 27704
The mission of the APS of Durham is to educate the public about the humane
care, treatment and well-being of all animals, to help stop pet
overpopulation through the promotion of spay/neuter programs, and to find
suitable adoptive homes for the animals in our care.
Wish List:
http://www.apsofdurham.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/wish-list.pdf

Durham Interfaith Hospitality Network (DIHN) (919) 682-2846
1216 N. Roxboro St., Durham NC 27701
³Provides emergency shelter and support to homeless families. DIHN partners
with over 30 local congregations which provide overnight accommodations,
meals and transportation for our guests on a rotating basis.²
Wish List: http://www.dihn.org/23395/23458.html

Durham Community Land Trustees (DCLT) (919) 490-0063
1208 W Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC 27701
³Nonprofit, community based organization committed to providing permanently
affordable housing for low to moderate income people and promoting community
revitalization in the neighborhoods in which it operates.²
Wish List: ³Accepts household appliances, equipment, building supplies, and
tools. We do not accept contributions of food or clothing. Please contact us
by email at karlh at dclt.org <mailto:programasst at dclt.org>  or by telephone at
919.490.0063 prior to making a contribution to ensure we have a need and
adequate storage for your item(s).²
http://www.dclt.org/support_us.cfm

Durham County Library (919) 560-0190
300 N. Roxboro St., Durham, NC 27701
The Friends of Durham County Library provides volunteer and financial
support for library programs, services, and equipment for the Durham County
Library. Book sales are held in spring and fall at the Main Library. See
link below for mini-book sale locations held during library hours.
Paperbacks begin at 50 cents and hardbacks at $1.
Wish List: books, audiobooks, CDs, DVDs
http://www.durhamcountylibrary.org/friends.php#donate

Genesis Home (919) 683-5878
300 N Queen St., Durham NC 27701
³Works to end homelessness for families with children and young adults by
providing housing and supportive services to foster independence. Since
1989, the agency has provided a safe, stable place where families can come
together, rebuild their lives, and prepare for permanent housing in the
community.²
Wish List: http://www.genesishome.org/don-waystohelp/

Goodwill Industries of Eastern North Carolina [Other]
Donations accepted at all store locations during regular store hours.
·      Durham Stores:
4318 Garrett Rd. Durham, NC 27707 (919) 493-1182 (pick up for furniture)
5267 N. Roxboro Rd. Durham, NC 27701 (919) 479-1141
·      See this link for more stores: http://www.goodwillenc.org/retail.html
Provides skill and job training; job opportunities; life-enrichment
activities to adults with developmental disabilities. Donations to the
Foundation are value priced and made available for sale at the stores.
Wish List: ³Useable clothing, small appliances, household items and
furniture. We regret we cannot accept items like washing machines,
refrigerators or bedding. If you are planning to donate to a GCF Donation
Center & Store®, or to any other organization:
http://www.goodwillenc.org/images/Donations%20Dos%20and%20Don%27ts.pdf.²
Pickup service available.
Free online classes: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/default3d.aspx

Housing for New Hope (919) 489-6282
18 West Colony Place, Suite 250, Durham, NC 27705
³Encourages and assists homeless people and other persons in crisis to move
toward lives marked by increased levels of stability, dignity, hope and
independence.²
Donations: http://housingfornewhope.org/How-You-Can-Help.164.0.html. For
more information about giving opportunities, contact Eric Breit, development
director: (919) 724-0578, eric at housingfornewhope.org.

Inter-Faith Council for Social Service
 ³The Inter-Faith Council for Social Service meets basic needs and helps
individuals and families achieve their goals. We provide shelter, food,
direct services, advocacy and information to people in need. We accomplish
this through strong partnerships with volunteers, staff and those we serve.
We rely on the active involvement of caring individuals, congregations and
other community organizations. Please make sure your food donations are not
expired and do not contain alcohol. If you are making a large donation,
please notify us ahead of time.²
PANTRY: Mon. ­ Fri., 9 am - 5 pm: 110 W Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510:
Kristin Lavergne: 929-6380 x41, servicesdirector at ifcmailbox.org. On
weekends, drop off at the Community Kitchen.
COMMUNITY KITCHEN (open daily): 100 W. Rosemary St., Chapel Hill, NC 27516
(corner of MLK): Donna Bradley 967-0643, x15: kitchen at ifcmailbox.org
Wish List: http://www.ifcweb.org/contribute.html

John Avery Boys & Girls Club [Other] (919) 687-4517
PO Box 446, Durham, NC, 27701
511 Grant Street, Durham, NC 27702
Mission: ³To inspire and enable all youth of Durham, ages 6-18, particularly
those from disadvantages circumstances, to engage in viable youth
development programs and activities, to realize their full potential as
productive, responsible and caring citizens.² The club is a membership
organization. Fees are kept low to allow all youth to participate. Annual
membership dues are $10.00 per youth. Programs are offered after school and
during the summer with various fun and educational activities.
Wish List: [information not available at time of publication]
http://johnavery.org

Pennies for Change Thrift Store (919) 237-2167
2715 Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham, NC 27707 (new location)
Resale store run by the Durham Crisis Response Center, which "works with the
community to end domestic and sexual violence through advocacy, education,
support and prevention.² The shop uses the funds to provide free clothing
and goods for victims of domestic & sexual assault and their children.
Wish List: Women¹s clothing, shoes, handbags, jewelry, accessories; home
décor (including art), furniture, books, some electronics, carpets, nice
bedding sets, pillows.
Penniesforchange at durhamcrisisresponse.org
Please call in advance if you have a large donation.
Penniesforchange at durhamcrisisresponse.org

ReStore (formerly Habitat Hand-Me-Up Store) (919) 403-8668
5501 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd., Durham, NC 27707 (new location)
³Sells gently used furniture, appliances, and household goods, as well as
building and construction materials to the public to raise money for Habitat
for Humanity. Profits are distributed equally to Habitat of Orange and
Durham Counties and used to purchase the materials needed to build homes.
Wish List: http://www.durhamhabitat.org/donate/wish.php
Donations accepted: http://www.restoredurhamorange.org/donate/index.php
Pickup service available.
Questions: Mitzi Viola, Director of Development, (919) 682-0516 x107,
mviola at durhamhabitat.org

Salvation Army (919) 477-5457
124 Latta Rd., Durham, NC 27701
In Durham, Orange, and Person counties, serves: 1) At-risk children
<http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/83
4C434F65D03C6D852574A5006403AB?Opendocument> , ages 6-18; 2) People
threatened with homelessness
<http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/2E
64AB7AFE6DFA0F852574A500601B1C?Opendocument> : Emergency rent and utility
assistance keeps a roof over their heads; 3) People in immediate need
<http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/2E
64AB7AFE6DFA0F852574A500601B1C?Opendocument> .
Urgent Needs:
http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vwsublinks/2ED410145
FC0F0DD852575B700704963?openDocument

SEEDS (South Eastern Efforts Developing Sustainable Spaces, Inc) (919)
683-1197
706 Gilbert St., Durham, NC 27701
"SEEDS is a non-profit community garden whose goal is to teach people to
care for the earth, themselves and each other through a variety of
garden-based programs. We help individuals, neighborhoods and communities
grow together through gardening, gathering and education.
Wish List: ³We are always in need of garden supplies, office supplies,
printing services, and any other product or service that organizations need
to function. Please contact us for more information on specific items we
could use at present.² http://www.seedsnc.org/help.htm

SNAP-NC (Spay-Neuter Assistance Program of North Carolina)
[Other] (919) 783-7627
PO Box 278, New Hill, NC 27562
³To address pet overpopulation issues in our state, SNAP-NC provides
low-cost spay-neuter services to those in need of financial assistance.²
Wish List: http://www.snap-nc.org/Donate.asp
Swap Shop (919) 560-4611
Waste Disposal and Recycling Center (Transfer Station), 2115 E. Club Blvd.,
Durham, NC 27704
³The purpose of the Swap Shop is to encourage waste reduction through the
practice of reuse. The goal is to divert good, useable items away from the
waste stream and conserve valuable landfill space. Residents having items in
working, useable condition donate them to the Swap Shop. Residents in need
of items visit the Swap Shop looking for the items. If the items are
available, they take them. "Swapping" extends both the life of the items and
the life of the landfill.²
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/solid/swap_shop2.cfm

Threshold Clubhouse (919) 682-4124
609 Gary St., Durham, NC 27703
³Helps adults in Durham, NC with severe mental illness stay out of the
hospital, succeed at work, advance their education, and reach their goals.
In 2008 Threshold helped 119 members avoid rehospitalization.²
Wish List: http://www.thresholdclubhouse.org/donate/wish-list
http://www.thresholdclubhouse.org/donate

Triangle Freecycle [Other]
³The goal of Freecycle is to build a gifting/recycling movement that reduces
waste, saves precious resources and eases the burden on our landfills, while
enabling our members to benefit from the strength of the greater community.²
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreecycleDurhamNC/

TROSA (919) 419-1059
1820 James St., Durham, NC 27707
TROSA is an innovative, multi-year residential program that enables
substance abusers to be productive, recovering individuals by providing
comprehensive treatment, work-based vocational training, education, and
continuing care.
Donations: http://trosainc.org/support/index.htm

Urban Ministries of Durham (919) 682-0538
112 N Queen St., Durham, NC 27701
³We believe that no one should be without food, clean clothing or a safe
place to sleep. We have created a welcoming, caring and compassionate
environment where people can heal, find hope and begin to rebuild their
lives.²
Deanna Kleiss: (919) 682-0538 x35
Donations: http://www.umdurham.org/how-you-can-help

Women-in-Action Clearinghouse (919) 680-4575
634 Foster St., Durham, NC 27701
Provides informational services and connects people to resources they need
(including emergency needs such as rent, utilities and medicine). Has
mediation program.
Wish List: [information not available at time of publication]

Compiled by Laura Drey
December 2009