[Durham INC] Durham Animal Control -- or lack thereof

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 21:16:34 EDT 2010

Please see the HS story below. I can add to the concerns over the lack of action by Animal control:

>We found a bunch of baby opossums a couple weeks ago and despite the facts that my husband was bitten by one (and the bite drew blood) and that the rehabilitation center called Animal Control several times that Monday morning to request that they test two of the opossums which died, Animal control did not test them. Fortunately the rehab center managed to get them tested at NC state. About a week later my neighbor found a bat behaving strangely (it seemed very ill) at 5:30 PM, well before dusk, and animal control said they would not test the animal unless someone reported that they had been bitten. I find this to be very disturbing. If the animal were to be tested positive, it would certainly provide a clear warning to the people living in that area. If someone contracts rabies after animal control refused to test an animal provided, I would think Durham would be open to tremendous liability.

Just wondered if others were having similar problems. I know that animal control is low on staff and is facing cuts like everyone else, but if these responses are typical, is it any wonder that citizens don't want to fund this program/department?

Melissa Rooney