[Durham INC] Fw: [owdna] Join chefs supporting Bullock's (May 7); Local salons collecting hair clippings for BP spill

M. W. Shiflett - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 11:46:21 EDT 2010

Bullocks is a Durham original!

I'm planning on supporting them too!

Mike Shiflett

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Schelp" <bwatu at yahoo.com>
To: <bwatu at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:39 AM
Subject: [owdna] Join chefs supporting Bullock's (May 7); Local salons
collecting hair clippings for BP spill

Neighbors,

Please join local chefs for lunch to support Bullock's -- tomorrow at noon.
(Bring cash since Bullock’s doesn't take credit cards.)

Chefs unite to aid Bullock's
By Jim Wise, Bull's Eye Blog (N&O), 05 May 2010

Durham is famed as a foodie town and some of the town's chefs are out to aid
one of Durham's culinary institutions: Bullock's Barbecue.

Last week, the Durham County Health Department announced that some Bullock's
customers got ill after eating from a takeout order. However, inspectors
have found nothing in Bullock's food handling, storage and preparation that
was not as it should be, said Sam Poley, a former chef and restaurant owner
(Starlu) who now directs marketing at the Durham Convention and Visitors
Bureau.

But since then, the restaurant's business has nosedived by 80 percent, Poley
said. So, Poley is recruiting fellow chefs (along with other local notables)
to all have lunch at Bullock's around noontime Friday.

"Chefs know what's good to eat and what's not good to eat," he said, and
they're stepping up to "help Bullock's solve the consumer confidence issue
they are up against now."

The Health Department said it suspected salmonella as the culprit in the
takeout food, but no cases have been confirmed, Poley said.

Bullock's is the longest-operating restaurant in Durham's history, and in
its 59 years has never had a sanitation grade below A, he said. Owner Tommy
Bullock has said his staff can have no control over what happens to food
once it leaves the restaurant, and the takeout food may have become
contaminated from being left out unrefrigerated.

Poley said a lot of his colleagues are agreeing to join the cause, even
though this is one of Durham restaurants' busiest times of year.

"It's Friday of graduation weekend and chefs are saying, 'I'll be there,' "
Poley said. "Because every chef knows, there but for the grace of God go I.

"We hope this'll turn the tide."

****

Hello everyone,

I'm collecting hair clippings from about 10 local salons for hair booms that
will be used to absorb the oil slick in the Gulf. The hair is stuffed in old
stockings and then wrapped again in a netting. I could use stockings and
help collecting/shipping if anyone wants to jump in.

If you have any panty hose (rips/ small runs are fine) please cut off the
legs and drop them off at 1022 Minerva Ave.

If you were planning on getting your hair cut, here are the places that I am
collecting from now till Tuesday or who are already part of the effort:

* Lavish

* Beleza

* Hair Studio

* Funky Monkey