[Durham INC] DPS School Board -- Please email your support by noon tomorrow --

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 17:13:44 EDT 2010

School board members discuss the site-based committees and their appropriate
level of involvement this Tuesday at 4:30 at the Fuller Bldg.

Please send a quick email to all the school board members by noon tomorrow and
thank them for giving this issue their due consideration and support. And please
ask others to do so if they agree.

Here's the email list (you'll need to remove any spaces that appear in the
addresses below):

Minnie Forte-Brown <Minnie.Forte-Brown at dpsnc.net>; Heidi Carter
<Heidi.Carter at dpsnc.net>; Omega Curtis-Parker<Omega.Curtis-Parker at dpsnc.net>;
Fredrick Davis <Fredrick.Davis at dpsnc.net>; Leigh
Bordley<Leigh.Bordley at dpsnc.net>; Hank Hurd <Hank.Hurd at dpsnc.net>;
scrapping.nancy at verizon.net, Natalie Beyer <natalie.beyer at gmail.com>

Why I think this is important:

I supported Nancy Cox and Nathalie Beyer for school board because I wanted more
parental and teacher involvement before the DPS decisions are effectively made.

I have served on my kids’ elementary school site based committee for two years
now, and thanks to the principal it has evolved into a committee that actually
has some preliminary information and can voice an opinion, at least to her. But
not all site-based committees are like this, and many schools don’t even have
active site-based committees.

[Site based committees are committees that are composed of 2-3 parent reps, one
rep teacher from each grade level, specials, etc., and the principal and
vice-principal (I don’t think I left anyone out) for the purpose of discussing
school issues, extracurricular activities, schedules, etc. And anyone can attend
the monthly site-based meetings.]

It’s important that we let our incumbent school board members know that our two
new school board members have our full support in encouraging and improving the
effectiveness of site-based committees at every one of Durham’s public schools.

Thanks!Melissa (Rooney)