[Durham INC] Support the marriage amendment

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:14:04 EDT 2011

Voting to deny a minority the freedom to live life in a way that harms
no one? Why should we have this vote exactly? The matter of whether one
"chooses" to be gay is irrelevant. I don't seek anyone's approval to
live my life the way I choose, so why should any majority govern the
lifestyles of a peaceful, law-abiding minority? Sure, our legislators
might not like it, but so what? If the folks pushing this issue are so
concerned about respecting marriage, why aren't they seeking a
constitutional ban on the choice to get a divorce? Why aren't they
seeking a constitutional ban on the choice of second (or third)
marriages after divorce? Why aren't they seeking a constitutional ban on
marriages by atheists who choose not to believe in a god? Certainly
these are more common choices and a bigger "affront" to the institution
of marriage than that posed by gays and lesbians, whether by choice or not.

Of course we know the reason our legislature is seeking to add
intolerance to our state constitution. The constitutional amendment
isn't being put forward because the Republican legislators care about
gay marriage -- it's all about dividing Democrats by a non-issue and
energizing the Republican base for the 2012 election. All part of the
plan to deny President Obama -- who dared bring health care to 50
million poor Americans -- a second term and reelect the Republicans in
the NC legislature.

Let's focus on jobs and social justice, not social injustice.

Will Wilson

--
http://www.biology.duke.edu/wilson/
New Book: http://www.constructedclimates.org/