[Durham INC] Help --Trinity Park Wetland could save Durham $20 M and more...

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 17:17:24 EDT 2012

Totally understand where everyone is coming from on the other issues. However, I know first hand of properties (my own and others) being literally washed away due to the velocity with which storm water is directed through them...particularly those containing what should be a small intermittent stream. I have spoken on site with storm water services and soil and water conservation people as well as an environmental landscaper, and all said the best solution is to convince upstream residents to donate land for a retention pond to slow down (as well as filter) the water.

So when I read this article, I was thrilled that the city was looking into this.

This does not just affect these particular neighborhoods. It stands to benefit properties far downstream as well.

Other BMPs may only treat the chemical content of the water, not the damage caused to properties  by the accumulated stormwater (and erosion) that is the source of the problem.

I do not see how a wetland or retention pond that is home to beavers, turtles, frogs and water foul can do anything but improve the aesthetics and the values of the homes in the nbhds directly impacted.

Would certainly love to hear from all sides at upcoming INC meetings (including Stormwater Services and SWCD) and for INC to discuss and contemplate weighing in on this.

Melissa (Rooney)