[Durham INC] Foster's Durham Committee Interview:

Darius Mercedes Little Darius.M.Little at alumni.unc.edu
Wed May 23 14:31:33 EDT 2012

Carl, I'll address the interviews.

As one who believes that it is important to understand the opinions of as many constituencies as possible, I am an active member of The Durham Committee and the People's Alliance.  This does not exude being a "sellout" it in my opinion demonstrates my level of maturity.  I want to hear from, listen to, and analyze the thinking, behavior and expectations of all Durham Citizens.

As such, I attended the interview processes of ALL candidates that ran for office (locally and Statewide).

Of the County Commissioner Challengers, Fred Foster (along with Wendy Jacobs) was very specific as it relates to his opinion on 751.  He repeated, in a packed Durham Committee Interview: this is the wrong project, in the wrong location, at the wrong time.

Whether one agreed with him or not, his conviction was clear and unlike the other candidates, Foster was respected.

As such, the Durham Committee showed Political Maturity (which I feel was not shown in the People's Alliance), by not endorsing a slate 'solely' based upon the emotion in the room for, or against, 751.  The endorsement of Jim Dornfried was even Political, as he has absolutely no Judicial experience, yet was endorsed over a man who has respectfully represented Durham on a Superior Court bench for over 20 years.  One who is highly rated.  But, since he did not allow Judge Abernathy to remain on the 751 case, but instead went next in the rotation to Henry Hight (a VERY respected Judge), PA supporters even went so far as to make a 751 judicial endorsement.  Beyond all reason - and community interest at-large.

The Durham Committee endorsed someone who was against 751.  Why? Because Fred has an extensive track record of community support.

As I spoke for Fred at the DCABP Endorsement I shared with the Political Committe about a call I received from Fred one Saturday AM at around 7:15.  Fred called and notified me he was out of town, at a conference with Rev. Barber.  He'd received a voice message from a lady in Walltown whose husband needed an emergency amputation and who had no money for anything - including food.  Fred said he needed someone reliable that would handle that for him, out of their own pocket and that he'd heard reports of me helping folks, so he was wondering could I help.  I did so with no problem - and stocked-up the family's refrigerator with food.

I did this because I believe in Fred and the NAACP.  His service is from the heart and I respect people who do more than hold positions on boards.  I serve on all kinds of boards, but my true experience comes from direct interaction with people.  Fred has been in the trenches. In the churches. In the homes, schools and participated in a diverse coalition of Durham organizations.

That is what we need on the Board of Commissioners.

Fred has not straddled the issues at all, so I have no idea how that conversation could even be initiated.  Anyone who participates in the Durham Committee knows beyond any doubt that Foster was one of the few, understandable interviews.

With all due respect, most of the other challengers couldn't even answer basic questions.  Most importantly, besides "being on boards," those who did understand how "some" of the government operated, were absolutely clueless when it came to them answering questions which required individual creativity and problem solving skills.

In Romans 10, verse 1, the Apostle Paul opens by saying: "My heart's desire and prayer for Israel is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness, that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge."

Nothing rings more true in my ears than these words.  The challengers have zeal, but when it comes to service, I've not crossed paths with many of them in this community.

And frankly, that's just, well, odd......

- Darius

Darius M. Little
Executive Business Consultant  and
Strategic Marketing Analyst

(web) www.linkedin.com/in/dariuslittle

Manta Business Profile/Report:
http://www.manta.com/c/mtlwj1m/little-s-business-consulting

"And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." [Matt 21:22]