[Durham INC] Ending the cycle of poverty transportation

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:17:14 EDT 2012

I ride the Chapel Hill bus about 4/5th of the time I go that way. Saturday, there was a mother with her 5-year-old twins who were practicing to be on the school bus.  There are poor and crazy people on the Chapel Hill buses, but it obviously feels safe enough that parents let middle-school kids ride to mall on their own.  What drives up the ridership is limited parking on campus, fare-free, reasonably efficient time-wise and yes, enough people like me being on the bus.
I have also taken the bus from out here to downtown Durham, which goes thru Duke and was mostly being used by Duke employees (I think quite a few Duke employees started taking the bus when Duke started subsidizing their ride).