[Durham INC] Ending the cycle of poverty transportation

Christine Chamberlain christinebbd at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 04:47:27 EDT 2012

I agree with all the comments, your observations of the bus system are the same as mine.  More riders are needed on the bus.

However, Carl introduced this topic with a racist rant from a black man on the bus, added quite a few of his own rants... and shot himself in the foot if his goal was to attract riders to the bus system.  If I had been on the bus with that man, would I have been a target for his "animated" rant?   I'm white and there is no way I'm going to get on the bus after seeing reports from Carl about the behavior of people who ride the bus.  My daughter is 21, has a mild form of autism called Aspergers.  She is successful in life, but does have to struggle with reading body language of those around her.  Carl,  there is NO WAY I will allow her to ride the bus after seeing what goes on with some of those who sit with you on the bus.  Thanks for that Carl.

Darius shared a point of view I've heard described from several successful black men in Durham.  One was the principal of my school for 8 years, Mr. Danner.  I have to wonder. if Carl were to highlight the overwhelming number of successful black men that live in Durham, how would that affect the outlook some of those who ride the bus?  Might it inspire a few of them?

I have to head out soon, to buy gas for the ride to Durham Tech in a couple hours.

Christine