[Durham INC] Postal Service delivery method swtich attempt

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 31 22:30:30 EDT 2012

Mr  King,

Sure hope  I quoted that correctly, but it certainly stuck in my mind as
well.
And  frankly I don't think Durham should care how you handle your email as
much as we  do care how you handle all our snail mail [in today's lingo}.

So let's get this conversation on a constructive track.

That problem you mentioned with garbage carts blocking mail boxes, that's
something we should be able to help with. A past Postmaster, Chris Tinkham,
saw  lots of ways the PO and the neighborhoods could work better together.

His idea of offering a cluster box at the entrance of certain curbside
delivery neighborhoods was more than intriguing. Once again, first and
foremost, it would be the neighborhood's CHOICE to accept the offer, but you  could
see the savings in time for the delivery person and why Chris made  that
offer. You are certainly under no obligation to offer the same.

Personally, I think each new Postmaster should be starting with a new
slate, and it isn't fair to hold them to the prior Postmaster's statements. But
that is also part of the problem given the quantity of new postmasters in
the  last 7 or 8 years.

Mike Woodard and I have met with each one as soon as they've settled in,
just as we did with you, Mike. We generally leave with a lukewarm commitment
that it won't happen on their watch, then it does. We have the discussion
about  if the PO has the right, {stage we're at right now} and the Postmaster
looks  into it and discovers we're right, and then, eventually they are
replaced  with a new Postmaster, and the cycle repeats.

So here's a proposal to end this repetitive cycle:  When you check  into
the Postal Codes and conclude this pressure to change the mode of  delivery
this way just isn't going to work here in Durham. Maybe you could copy  that
section and we could frame it nicely and super glue it to your office  wall.

It would sure save the incoming Postmaster some time. It would also save a
countless number of folks from the hassle of dealing with that letter that
should never be sent. Worse yet the low income new home owner facing an
unfair,  and unexpected expense of erecting a rural mailbox that will look out
of  place in an antique, porch delivered, neighborhood.

If you don't like the idea of gluing it to the wall, perhaps we could
shorten the cycle with a document from headquarters in Greensboro.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 8/31/2012 8:02:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,