[Durham INC] S. Durham Residential Cell Tower meeting: Oct 11, 2012 (7 PM, South Regional Library)

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:06:41 EDT 2012

We have a church in our neighborhood that is maximizing the open space they keep in their latest building spree by maximizing the impact on its neighbors.  The behavior isn't limited to churches -- the private school in the neighborhood did the same.  And residential developers do it too.  The purpose of the UDO regulations is to control this conflict.
We spent an immense amount of time and effort 15 (?) years ago when we wrote the cell tower section of the UDO.  What the elected officials (and INC can ask for) CAN do is make sure that the rules don't need to be updated to curtail bad behavior that seems to be happening over and over again.  What neighbors can do is understand the rules enough to make sure they aren't being taken advantage of.  What the church needs to do is obey the rules (and ideally also the spirit of the rules.)
Regards, pat