[Durham INC] Early voting begins on Thursday

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:38:39 EDT 2012

Early voting will begin October 18 and end November 3.  October 18-October 20 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.October 21 12 - 5:30 p.m.October 22-October 27 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.October 28 12 - 5:30 p.m.October 29-November 2 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.November 3 8 a.m. - 1p.m.
There are seven early voting locations throughout Durham for the coming election season. Site 1 - Downtown Durham Museum of Durham History 501 W. Main Street (Old DATA Bus Depot)(moved from the Board of Elections!) Site 2- North Regional Location North Regional Library 221 Milton RoadSite 3- South Regional Location South Regional Library 4505 S. Alston AvenueSite 4 - East Regional Location East Regional Library 211 Lick Creek LaneSite 5 - Southwest Regional Location Githens Middle School4800 Old Chapel Hill Road(New location)Sites 6 & 7- Campus University Locations  Duke University, Trinity Room, West Campus(free parking in front of chapel)North Carolina Central University, Student Union NCCU Campus  For the first time in history, the Downtown Durham location for early voting will not be at the BOE Headquarters.  The new Downtown Durham location, the Museum of Durham History, is more spacious than the long-time downtown voting location and also offers better parking.  Additionally, the building offers voters with accessibility needs more space inside and outside the voting location.  I actually recommend voting the next week -- after the gung-ho types are done and before the procrastinators.

Some things to do before you go to vote:Go to https://www.ncsbe.gov/VoterLookup.aspx?Feature=voterinfo and enter your name to see if you are already registered.If you are registered and the information is still accurate, thank you.  You still might want to go half-way down the page and click on "my smaple ballot" since with re-districting, you may have some new races to vote in.A few people who are registered still need to bring photo ID (just about anything with your name and a picture of you, to show that the registered entity wasn't a cat or something).  I think your page on the www.ncbe.gov site will warn you of this, but I'm not sure where to look on it.If you are registered but the address is wrong, but is still in Durham County, I think the person who hands you a ballot will be able to make the correction without your needing to do a registration form.If you aren't registered or your registration is outside Durham County, you will need to re-register -- that is, fill out a form and show something official that connects your name to the address you are claiming.  This could be a driver's license, bill, paystub, etc.  The full list of acceptible documents is at http://www.durhamcountync.gov/departments/elec/Voter_Registration.html. If you think you should be registered but aren't there, it is probably something simple like someone typed you in as a 1-L Michele instead of a 2-L one.  You might want to plan on voting one-stop.
If you want to fill out a registration to bring with you, you can get a registration on line at http://www.ncsbe.gov/content.aspx?id=1&s=1.  Make sure you sign it and fill in all the required blanks.

More information:  http://www.durhamcountync.gov/departments/elec/Voter_Registration_Information.html
Regards, pat