[Durham INC] Durham County Chief Fire Marshal Appointed to Building Code Council

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Fri Sep 3 10:30:53 EDT 2021

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                          Date: 09/03/21
Contact: Public Information Office                   Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

Durham County Chief Fire Marshal Appointed to Building Code Council
Shepherd tapped for state seat by Governor Cooper

Durham, N.C. - Durham County Chief Fire Marshal of the Office of Emergency Services (OES) Jason B. Shepherd was recently appointed by North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper as a member of the Building Code Council as the Fire Service Representative. Shepherd was appointed August 2, 2021 and took the oath of office on August 20th at the Department of Insurance Office of State Fire Marshal's Office in Raleigh.

Shepherd was nominated for the post in January jointly by the North Carolina State Firefighters' Association, North Carolina Association of Fire Chiefs, North Carolina Fire Marshals' Association, and the North Carolina Fire Code Revision Committee. A 27-year veteran in the field, Shepherd joined Durham County in June 2021 after leading the Orange County NC Fire Marshal Division for eight years.

The North Carolina Building Code Council consists of 17 members appointed by the Governor as authorized by General Statute 143-146. The council is responsible for adopting and amending the North Carolina State Building Codes.

"It is truly an honor to be appointed by Governor Cooper to represent the fire service on the Building Code Council," said Shepherd. "I want to personally thank my colleagues for their support with the nomination and confidence they've placed in me and I would be remiss if I didn't extend my appreciation to Director Groves for his belief in me along with the support of Durham County Government enabling me to serve on the council."

In this significant leadership role, Shepherd will be representing the entire North Carolina Fire Service. His responsibilities will include chairing the North Carolina Fire Ad-Hoc Committee which is tasked with developing the 2024 North Carolina Fire Code. Additionally, he is a member of the Building Ad-Hoc Committee which is tasked with developing the 2024 North Carolina Building Code.

"Chief Fire Marshal Jason Shepherd is an outstanding addition to the Building Code Council," said Durham County General Manager of Community and Public Safety Jodi Miller. "Sharing his expertise and experience with the Council will create safer communities for all North Carolina residents. On behalf of Durham County, we congratulate Chief Shepherd on his appointment."

For more information about the Building Code Council, visit its webpage Building Code Council (BCC) | OSFM (ncosfm.gov)<https://www.ncosfm.gov/codes/building-code-council-bcc> and Article_9.pdf (ncleg.net)<https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_143/Article_9.pdf> or contact Shepherd at 919-201-6638 or email to jshepherd at dconc.gov<mailto:jshepherd at dconc.gov>.

###