[Durham INC] NAIA Football Championship and Senior Football Classic Coming to Durham County Memorial Stadium

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Wed Sep 15 14:30:48 EDT 2021

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                          Date: 09/15/21
Contact: Public Information Office                   Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

NAIA Football Championship and Senior Football Classic Coming to Durham County Memorial Stadium
Events to be hosted in both 2021 and 2022

Durham, N.C. - Durham County Memorial Stadium was selected this week as the host venue for the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Football Championship and Senior Football Classic games for both the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

The NAIA's Football Championship is their premiere event and has been held every year since 1956. This mark the fourth time the game has been played in the state of North Carolina - Boiling Springs in 1992 and Burlington in 1980 and 1981.

"We are thrilled that the NAIA has selected Durham County Memorial Stadium to host their 2021 and 2022 Football National Championship and Senior Football Classic," said Durham County Memorial Stadium Manager Zach Pritchard. "Football has been one of the foundations of the stadium when it was built in the 1950's and is seeing a return of Championship Football to the Stadium is a testament of the support that the Durham community has had for the facility throughout the years.  We thank the NAIA for their confidence in us to host one of their prestigious events and we look forward to working with our partners at the Durham Sports Commission to show the student-athletes, teams and fans what the Bull City has to offer."

The selection of Memorial Stadium, located at 750 Stadium Dr., was led by the continued efforts of the Durham Sports Commission in bringing high-profile sporting events to the community. The County has invested heavily in improvements and upgrades to the multi-use facility, originally constructed in 1958, including an excess of $2 million in capital expenses since Fiscal Year 2018-2019 and have approximately $1.5 million planned for FY 2021-22. Take a drone video tour of the venue here<https://youtu.be/gDj_4VTt938>.

"The Durham Sports Commission is both delighted and excited to be the host city for the NAIA National Football Championship," Dan Hill, Board Chair of the Durham Sports Commission, said in a release<https://www.naia.org/sports/fball/2021-22/Releases/Host-Site-Announcement>. "On behalf of the Board of Directors, we are looking forward to welcoming the teams, their fans and the NAIA officials to Durham!"

Added Durham County Memorial Stadium Authority Chair Pam Karriker, "We are thrilled that the NAIA and the Durham Sports Commission have agreed that the Stadium will be the site for the 2021 and 2022 NAIA Football National Championship and Senior Football Classic.  We feel that Durham and the County Stadium will be a tremendous fit for these events."

Recent improvements to the stadium include the addition of the Tommy Hunt Press Box, an expanded concourse, and revisions to team spaces. The 8,500-seat facility is home to the 2021 AUDL Champion Raleigh Flyers ultimate disc squad, USL2 Tobacco Road FC soccer team and Northern High School football. Upgrades since 2019 to the track and field facilities have allowed it to host dynamic events from local clubs, USA Track & Field (USATF), Big Eight Athletic Conference, the Powerade State Games, and the North Carolina Senior State Games.

The Stadium's Willie Bradshaw Field is an artificial turf surface lined for football, soccer, and lacrosse. Other events held at the facility include middle and high school championships, the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Football Championships and Legends of Honduras International soccer match. It was the former home of the Shaw University Bears football team from 2007-2018 and the Triangle Rattlers professional football team.

Memorial Stadium is also equipped to host special events including concerts, fairs, walks, and other events.

Motiryo Keambiroiro, Director of Durham County General Services, said the NAIA's choosing of the Durham County Memorial Stadium shows that the County's commitment to improvements is paying dividends for Durham County's residents and businesses.

"In partnership with the Durham Sports Commission, the Durham County Memorial Stadium Authority, County Board of Commission and the General Services Staff we welcome the NAIA 2021 and 2022 Football Championships," she said. "We look forward to the games, fans and the excitement that it will bring to the County Stadium and the surrounding businesses. Make sure to look for upcoming events on our webpage."

The upcoming NAIA Football Championship will be the 66th annual title game. Sixteen teams qualify for the Football Championship Series. The first round, quarterfinals, and semifinals are played at campus sites on November 20th, 27th, and December 4th before the action heads to Durham County Memorial Stadium on December 18th for the title game.

Lindsey Wilson defeated Northwestern (Iowa) in last year's championship game 45-13 at Grambling State University in Louisiana. That game was delayed into the spring due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The NAIA paused the Senior Football Classic for 2020 due to the pandemic but will bring it back this year. The inaugural event in 2019 was held a week prior to the National Championship in Savannah, Georgia, and featured 116 seniors from 42 institutions split into East and West squads.

"Durham Sports Commission is an exceptional partner for the Football National Championship and Senior Football Classic," said NAIA President and CEO Jim Carr. "We are pleased to bring both events to the same venue, which has a proven track record of hosting special events that have an impact on Durham and the greater community."

For more information on the NAIA National Championship, including a visitor's guide, media guide, past results, how to buy tickets and more, visit www.naia.org/sports/fball<http://www.naia.org/sports/fball>.

For more information on Durham County Memorial Stadium, contact Pritchard at 919-560-8957 or email zpritchard at dconc.gov<mailto:zpritchard at dconc.gov>; visit the Stadium webpage<https://www.dconc.gov/county-departments/departments-a-e/county-stadium>, and follow the Stadium's social media accounts on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/DCoStadium> and Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/DCoStadium>.

###