[Durham INC] Fwd: Requesting your help - please sign my letter

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 13:11:29 EST 2021

Hello,
 I was asked to forward this email, for good reason. Pheobe Gooding is a
colleague who is more than qualified to serve in the position that she was
recommended for with DCSWDB.
You will learn all details in the email below.

Bonita

Greetings!

Please sign and share this letter from Anjali Boyd in support of Phoebe
Gooding, whose nomination to the Durham Soil and Water Board was rescinded
under circumstances that should be brought to light.

*****

I am a BIPOC, female, new and beginning farmer with a small farm in eastern
Durham. In August I was nominated to the Durham County Soil and Water
Conservation District Board of Supervisors. Members of the board
enthusiastically voted for me because of my background in conservation and
environmental justice, my board experience, and because of the perspective
and insights I can offer firsthand as a BIPOC female small farmer.  After
receiving the nomination, I spoke with a colleague of mine with deep
experience in Durham food systems. He congratulated me and said that,
historically, conservation funding and resources have mostly been
transferred to white, wealthy landowners in the county. My appointment to
the board comes with voting power to ensure that resources are more
equitably distributed among county residents including those who have
historically faced higher barriers to accessing land and opportunities.

I waited with patience and excitement for the North Carolina Soil and Water
Conservation Commission to approve my appointment. What happened next has
not happened in 40 years. The state commission decided to supersede my
nomination and appoint Mr. Ken Browning, an older, white, male farmer
instead.

Over the last few months of gathering information, and trying to understand
what happened and why I have come to a few conclusions:

   - First, the decision to supersede my nomination needs to be brought to
   light.
   - Second, I am incredibly qualified for the position.
   - Third, I will fight for my rightful appointment to the board so that I
   may serve the people of Durham County with a lens of equity and justice.

I’m asking you to fight with me. Please *read and sign the attached letter**
of support* by Anjali Boyd, Durham County Soil and Water Conservation
District Supervisor (elected).

Please, please share widely! This is really a state issue and not just a
county issue. The letter
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uOu0bMOvOG5hrOLsiAwQ3GLBFQY7GALV/edit>
explains in more detail my qualifications for this position and the issues
of concern that this raises for all conservation districts in our state. If
you have any suggestions or other thoughts to offer, reach out to me at
(802) 490-0258 or contact Anjali Boyd at dsw at anjaliboyd.com.

Add your signature to the letter here:

https://forms.gle/Fw5BLMcqsT4MgtbC8  <https://forms.gle/Fw5BLMcqsT4MgtbC8>

In solidarity,