[Durham INC] Complete Communities

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 07:59:24 EDT 2022

Folks might want to take a look at the idea of "complete community" that the Chapel Hill Town Council is exploring.

The idea of complete communities is to build around greenways rather than highways, on the theory that residents will move to non-car forms of transportation, so the development can be built more densely since we don't need to leave room for parking.

https://www.townofchapelhill.org/businesses/complete-community
Complete Community | Town of Chapel Hill, NC<https://www.townofchapelhill.org/businesses/complete-community>
The Complete Community initiative is a follow-up to the 2021 Housing Report. (Housing Report)(Presentation from September 2021) The follow-up to this Report comes in the next steps.Town Council asked the consultant to help the Town find a list of the top global talent in this planning fiel d to help Council determine a path forward.. The Town worked with the consultant to develop an RFP for a ...
www.townofchapelhill.org
https://tocondonews.com/archives/complete-communities/

Personally, I am not sold on the idea -- with the "daily living radius" (my term -- how far an average family needs to go on a regular basis) in the Triangle what it is, I think density will continue to be gotten at the expense of open space rather than parking space, but it is an interesting idea.

Regards, pat