[Durham INC] Fwd: Time to act: Northgate Mall redevelopment meeting this Thursday!

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:07:16 EST 2023

---
From: Brandon J. Williams <brandonjhudson at gmail.com>

Dear Walltown neighbors and Durham residents,

*We need you to come out and tell the Northgate Mall site developer to
include affordable housing in their plans! *

What: Northgate Mall Developer’s Stakeholder Meeting

When: THIS THURSDAY, February 16

Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Where: In person only at Northgate Mall, enter through the DTLR near Bank
of America - Unit #648. Use the Gregson St. mall entrance.

Why: Over the last 4 years, the Walltown community has convened neighbors
concerned about the redevelopment of Northgate Mall. Walltown gathered
input from over 600 Durham residents to identify four main priorities:

   -

   Affordable housing
   -

   Affordable retail
   -

   Accessible community and green space
   -

   Environmental sustainability

The developer’s plans for the site have changed from luxury housing and
retail to scientific labs and offices. Neither plan incorporates the
community’s top priority: affordable housing. At the meeting on 2/16, the
developer will share updates and provide an opportunity for community
members to offer feedback.

Walltown’s leverage: The developer must request a rezoning of the property
to move forward with their plan. This is where residents have the power to
shape a just and equitable future for our community.

We must make it clear to the developer and the Durham City Council that it
is not acceptable to reject affordable housing when the proposed
development will exacerbate the already intense financial pressure on
renters and homeowners in neighborhoods surrounding the Mall, especially
Walltown.

Any development that threatens to displace, must balance out the act with
housing to replace.

For additional details, please visit our community association website,
Walltown.net <https://www.walltown.net/>, and

review the details of our work in the report, Building a Place for All
People: A
<https://static1.squarespace.com/static/60172f212e514a5b86eda855/t/608401f56a87341dd3dacf40/1619264025196/Northgate+Mall+Redevelopment+Survey+Report+%284.24.2021%29.pdf>

Community-Centered Vision for the New Northgate Mall
<https://static1.squarespace.com/static/60172f212e514a5b86eda855/t/608401f56a87341dd3dacf40/1619264025196/Northgate+Mall+Redevelopment+Survey+Report+%284.24.2021%29.pdf>
.

Together in partnership,

Audrey Mitchell, Walltown Community Association President

Brandon Williams, Northgate Mall Committee Chair, Walltown Community
Association

P.S Please share this email with your neighborhood association and other
community listservs.

--
Brandon J. Williams
he/him/his