[Durham INC] First Town Hall with Mayoral Candidates

Mimi Kessler mimikessler1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 10:42:19 EDT 2023

There was a virtual Town Hall last night in the continuing series which has
now covered all the City Council candidates and this is the first of 3 for
the 6 mayoral candidates.

Here is the link to Monday's town hall with *DeDreana Freeman* and *Leonardo
Willams*, 2 of the 8 candidates for mayor.  Here’s the link
https://youtu.be/GEgxoFeFMqw

We’ve been using some acronyms that should be explained:

   - *DCHC* – Durham, Carrboro, Chapel Hill
   - *MPO* – Metropolitan Planning Organization. This is a federally
   mandated group to plan transportation in coordination with state (NCDOT)
   and federal (DOT) agencies
   - *HEART* – is an unarmed crisis intervention program
   https://www.durhamnc.gov/4576/Community-Safety
   - *SCAD* amendment - Simplifying Codes for More Affordable Development.
   A 50-page proposal produced by developers that has some interesting and
   controversial components.

*Our next town hall will be this Wednesday the 13th at 7 PM with 3
candidates for mayor, Mike Woodard, C. Burruss, and Sylvester Williams *

=========================================================================================================================

Please also find the links to the 4 town halls for Durham City Council
presented by The Leesville Road Coalition, The Inter-Neighborhood Council
of Durham, and the Carolina Arbors Politics and Culture Club.  We were able
to present 11 of the 12 candidates.  (Only Waldo Fenner was unable to fit
us in his calendar.)

Javiera Caballero, Bonita Green, Shelia Ann Huggins

https://youtu.be/Qj06Mdf454E

Nate Baker, Monique Hosley-Hyman, Shelia Ann Huggins

https://youtu.be/vHl7l_1eUmA

Shanetta Burris, JJ Campbell

https://youtu.be/PXtuRqVOW9U

Kalilah Karim, Carl Rist, Sheri Zann Rosenthal

https://youtu.be/5Db3oUg3vfY

 We will be hosting the next Mayoral candidates will be held on the
following dates:

   - C. Burruss, Sylvester Williams, and Mike Woodard on September 13th
   - Jontae Dunston, Nick Petiford, Marshall Williams Jr. on September 20.

*INFORMATION ABOUT PRIMARY VOTING DATES:*

Early voting for the primaries will start at 8 am on September 21st

Absentee request deadline is on October 3rd.

Primary election day starts at 6:30 AM on October 10th

Mimi Kessler
919-599-2892